X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Cap Tally "Marinelazarett Kiel=Wik"

Hi All,

I am very far away from my comfort zone, so please give me a little help:

Is this cap tally original..?..or not.?..

Length 53 cm, irregular cut in both ends, and have many small defects.

Better pictures..?..just let me know.

Best regards,

Hans Kristian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John R.; 03-27-2020, 11:14 AM.

You have yourself a good tally. Marine Lazarett Kiel WIK. Imperial timeframe for this particular tally. Very nice condition. 53cm is a bit shortened down though from the full length but a nice piece none the less.

Best Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
      You have yourself a good tally. Marine Lazarett Kiel WIK. Imperial timeframe for this particular tally. Very nice condition. 53cm is a bit shortened down though from the full length but a nice piece none the less.

Best Regards,
      JustinG
      Thanks Justin, good to know.

And it is your opinion that is the Imperial period.?..Not Reichsmarine or Kriegsmarine.?.

Thanks
      Hans Kristian

Comment

This group/hospital was in service during pre-WW1. As early as 1903-1907 according to this site. http://atelierhaus-im-anscharpark.de...arinelazarett/
        So, It was preWW1. Imperial and Reichsmarine are possibilities. I have never seen this tally in wear. Kriegsmarine, this would not be. The lettering changed to fraktur script during the third reich. During the time fram around 1930 when they went from the roman letters to the german "gothic" letters.

Having never seen this ribbon in photo or other example, I am curious what the Marinebekleidungsamt from 1919-1924 stated that the specific lettering, style and construction must have been. That department released orders in 1924 exactly how the ship/unit was to be, the size, the spacing, even down to punctuation.

My educated guess is Imperial/ possible Reichsmarine but not wanting to definitively hang a solid time on it. For sure, I can say that it is not Kriegsmarine.

There is a wonderful pinned thread on tallies, with tons of information if you are interested in further reading.

Best Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Justin, thank you very much for this information. Very interesting. I bought it because I thought it was KM (my lack of knowledge), but this is also not too bad. And I know the Lazarett was active during WW2, so all good.

Hans Kristian

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
          This group/hospital was in service during pre-WW1. As early as 1903-1907 according to this site. http://atelierhaus-im-anscharpark.de...arinelazarett/
          So, It was preWW1. Imperial and Reichsmarine are possibilities. I have never seen this tally in wear. Kriegsmarine, this would not be. The lettering changed to fraktur script during the third reich. During the time fram around 1930 when they went from the roman letters to the german "gothic" letters.

Having never seen this ribbon in photo or other example, I am curious what the Marinebekleidungsamt from 1919-1924 stated that the specific lettering, style and construction must have been. That department released orders in 1924 exactly how the ship/unit was to be, the size, the spacing, even down to punctuation.

My educated guess is Imperial/ possible Reichsmarine but not wanting to definitively hang a solid time on it. For sure, I can say that it is not Kriegsmarine.

There is a wonderful pinned thread on tallies, with tons of information if you are interested in further reading.

Best Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

Hello Hans,

This tally was not worn in the Imperial German naval time, but during the Reichsmarine (1919 onwards). Medical units, e.g. LAZARETT, Hospitals units hold the ordinary tally KAISERLICHE MARINE. There are some exceptions, e.g. MARINE=SANITAETS=KOMPAGNIE, which was formed in Flanders.

Nontheless, your tally is an origin one!

BR,
            Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. It is good to know that it is the real thing.

Best regards
              Hans Kristian

Originally posted by Gensui View Post
              Hello Hans,

This tally was not worn in the Imperial German naval time, but during the Reichsmarine (1919 onwards). Medical units, e.g. LAZARETT, Hospitals units hold the ordinary tally KAISERLICHE MARINE. There are some exceptions, e.g. MARINE=SANITAETS=KOMPAGNIE, which was formed in Flanders.

Nontheless, your tally is an origin one!

BR,
              Chris

Comment

Hi guys,
                Metal thread woven, my favourite!
                Nice old original!

For reference I just checked my Horst Rivier 1848-1920 Kaiserlichen Tally book.
                It’s listed on page 69 but interestingly reads

MARINELAZARETT KIEL - WIEK
                Has a E in the WIK, perhaps a spelling error since we have an original example.
                These books have a few errors and holes in them...

Best regards
                JustinC

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
                  Hi guys,

For reference I just checked my Horst Rivier 1848-1920 Kaiserlichen Tally book.
                  It’s listed on page 69 but interestingly reads

MARINELAZARETT KIEL - WIEK
                  Has a E in the WIK, perhaps a spelling error since we have an original example.
                  These books have a few errors and holes in them...

Best regards
                  JustinC
                  Horst did a good job- in the 1980s. A time with limited sources. As you mentioned correctly, there are a lot of frauds, e.g. a tally for a SEEBATAILLON etc. Note, members of the Seebataillon wear shako, therefor no chance to wear a cap tally.

BR,
                  Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                  X