Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early KM Coastal Artillery Tunic

Hi guys,

this tunic is a puzzle for me. I have it in my collection for almost a decade and i still haven't found out what exactly it is

The seller told me that it is a tropical KM tunic because it's partially lined.

After seeing the early tunics such as for the Reichsmarine i realized that it must be from that era because of the lining and flaps on the back. I am thinking that it's a M28 model due to it's 6 frontal buttons instead of the 8 that M20 have.

Another collector told me that it's a polizei or a Heer ordnance tuic because of the orange Litzen. IMO the Litzen had a KM yellow color which faded in orange.

2 other collectors said that it's a KM moleskin tunic. After thoroughly checking the fabric i am sure that it's not a moleskin. It features the same heavy cotton twill that tropical tunics are made of (even the same weave pattern).

So i wanted to get some more opinions if anyone can nail what this tunic finally is.

Thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts,
    Chris
    Attached Files
    sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

A photo i made to compare the fabric of the heavy cotton twill (above) and the moleskin (below).
    Attached Files

Comment

Not a moleskine summer jacket but one of the versions of the tropical jackets made during the war .
      Early type in this tropical cloth , still with the RW summer cut .
      The badges were added , IMO postwar .
      Nick

Comment

Agree that eagle looks added but KM collar patches look originally applied to me. Great shoulder straps!!
        Martin

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys

Comment

I agree with the previous statements, it's a wartime manufacture RW-style drill tunic made from french cotton twill, probably specifically made for KM units. Collar tabs look period applied, eagle and shoulder straps most likely added post-war.

Comment

Originally posted by Hptm. Fuhrmann View Post
              I agree with the previous statements, it's a wartime manufacture RW-style drill tunic made from french cotton twill, probably specifically made for KM units. Collar tabs look period applied, eagle and shoulder straps most likely added post-war.
              Thanks for the opinion. How is the cotton twill defined as French?
              Can you elaborate a bit on "drill" tunic?
              Thanks
              Prost

Comment

Originally posted by gams1 View Post
                not a moleskine summer jacket but one of the versions of the tropical jackets made during the war .
                Early type in this tropical cloth , still with the rw summer cut .
                The badges were added , imo postwar .
                Nick
                rw?

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                  rw?
                  Reichswehr

Comment

Originally posted by don_kihotis7 View Post
                    Reichswehr
                    thx

Comment

Originally posted by don_kihotis7 View Post
                      Thanks for the opinion. How is the cotton twill defined as French?
                      Can you elaborate a bit on "drill" tunic?
                      Thanks
                      Prost
                      Here are two threads that deal with the 'french cotton twill' topic:
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=850880
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=971445

A drill tunic is a lightweight tunic made for working, exercise and as its name suggests for drills, mainly during basic training as opposed to the woolen field tunics worn in actual combat. Sometimes "drill" is also used as the abbreviation for the german word 'Drillich' which initially described a fabric type that was used to make such uniforms but soon stuck as a name for the unifom itself.

Best regards,
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Hptm. Fuhrmann View Post
                        Here are two threads that deal with the 'french cotton twill' topic:
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=850880
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=971445

A drill tunic is a lightweight tunic made for working, exercise and as its name suggests for drills, mainly during basic training as opposed to the woolen field tunics worn in actual combat. Sometimes "drill" is also used as the abbreviation for the german word 'Drillich' which initially described a fabric type that was used to make such uniforms but soon stuck as a name for the unifom itself.

Best regards,
                        Andy
                        Thanks for the reply and the links Andy.
                        It was interesting to read all those opinions about the cotton twill.
                        But regarding the tunic on this thread i disagree that it's a drillich tunic. Nothing in fabric, cut and design indicates that is such tunic. IMO is a tropical Feldbluse but i was confused about the model. From what i have read here in the forum i started believing that it was a M28 model but the guys above stated that it's a WWII period tunic in the cut and design of the RW tunics.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                        X