KM Engine Spares Box Graf Zeppelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Engine Spares Box Graf Zeppelin

I have acquired this large and heavy box. It is over 60 cm long.

It is made from steel with a ply wood lining.

It is marked as kolbenringe ( piston rings) for a 350/420 kW diesel engine.

Inside the lid is a paper label saying that the content are 50 klobenrings and 10 each of the Olabstrifringe ( upper/lower and middle). These last items are oil scraper rings.

The box bottom has two tapped steel plates and the markings for 300mm diameter rings. with a central partition ( missing).

This is not main propulsion but most likely for an auxiliary engine - again most likely a generator.

KM ships such as the Admiral Hipper has four 460 kw turbo charged diesel generators and two 230 kg diesel generators. These would have been used to supply power to the ship when the main engines were shut down. The same sized diesel engine with and without turbo would have given these different power outputs.

The Brown Boveri and Cie marine magazine form 1942 shows a SUlzer 8 pot marine diesel auxiliary engine of a similar output.

Both the Graf Zeppelin and the Admiral Hipper had similar BBC power plants.

The question arises that the box plaque and label mark these as coming from the Graf Zeppelin.

They are not from either of the two airships as none of the engine match in dimensions and output and the weight of this steel box would have been too much.

The provenance is that this box was sold at auction in the East of England as being from a collector.

There is no waffenstamp - but if this was made by the shipyard or engine maker it would not be official issue and would not get one.

It looks like it has been used as a storage box for the last seventy years. There have been hasps bolted to it and removed. The brown is a 1960's/70's overpaint with the gray underneath. I have removed the ubiquitous white emulsion drips.

The plaque is suitably yellowed and the paper aged.

I have one question in that the paper description has the parts down as anrtiebs (propulsion).

Do the A II a x mean anything or the W6V30/38 ?

I assume if it is real it was removed when the ship was moved to Stettin.

So question is this faked, from another ship or from the Aircraft Carrier Graf Zeppelin. ?

Your comments are welcome.
    Attached Files

Original Kriegsmarine Aircraft Carrier Graf Zeppelin case IMHO

Comment

On a German language forum I was informed that the W6V30/38 is confirmed as being the identification of four MAN diesel generators that were fitted to the Graf Zeppelin.

So I am getting more confident that this is original too.

Thank you for your matching opinion.

Comment

Congrats on your historical acquisition...Billbert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X