Old rusty helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old rusty helmet

Today I received a call from an elderly woman of my village. Her husband dug up a German helmet some 30 years ago in her backyard.
    Now she was cleaning up the garage and she gave the helm to me, for my collection, which is all about my own region.

I went there to pick up the rusty helmet, but I was amazed by the writing in it. My best guess is that the british who liberated my village (Aalst, Holland liberated by xxx corps on the 17th of september 1944) brought this helmet with them (maybe from Normandie?).

I was curious if the experts around here could tell me more about the inner writings of the helmet.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

Last edited by XRAYX; 11-09-2013, 10:15 AM.

Wow !

My grandfather was in XXX corps, probably passed right through there !

Cant see 100% but its an M40 Helmet, maybe a Quist

There were lots of SS soldiers in Holland

Comment

I imagine if that is a Feldpost Number you might be able to find to what unit he belonged to...? What is the last number?

http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nati...rs-05000-05999

Carles

Comment

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
        I imagine if that is a Feldpost Number you might be able to find to what unit he belonged...?

Carles
        Most certainly !

Comment

I believe it is 05113.

Comment

So it could be this unit:

"05113
            (Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Stab Grenz-Wach-Abschnitt II, u. gestrichen,
            (15.9.1940-31.1.1941) Stab Pionier-Bataillon verst. Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler,
            (1.2.1941-11.7.1941) Stab Pionier-Bataillon Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler,
            (15.7.1942-24.1.1943) Stab Pionier-Bataillon SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler,
            (25.1.1943-31.7.1943) Stab SS-Pionier-Bataillon (L. SS A.H.),
            (1.8.1943-23.3.1944) 18.2.1944 Stab Pionier-Bataillon 1 (1. SS-Division),
            (24.3.1944-6.11.1944) 29.7.1944 Stab Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 1 (1. SS-Division)
            ."

Now if you can read the name on the helmet you might even be able to know his fate.

Carles

Comment

Thanks!
              None of these units probably have been in my village (Aalst just south of Eindhoven, Holland), so my theory that the british brought it along stands.

I think the name is Knobloch or Knoblarh or something.
              And SS- O... would be the Ran I guess.

Last edited by XRAYX; 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

SS rottenfuhrer

Comment

There was something writen in the dome when you look in the right light. Probably white pencil.
                  My guess it was the same text as on the liner.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X