HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Finish M33 Helmet. Opinions Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Finish M33 Helmet. Opinions Needed.

The lid itself from what i can gather is a WW2 produced example even down to the chinstrap bales having markings and the inside felt being a dark orange colour, took me ages to date this as i didnt know that so many variations of M33 were produced Im wondering what period the black finish might be, cannot find a black example on the net so im a bit lost to tell the truth. Id be gratefull for any help
    Attached Files

The helmet is ww2 production in all parts including factory paint on the inside of the shell.
    The black paint is old but in my opinion younger than ww2.
    Maybe years 70 repaint.

Comment

Thank you tankredi, would you have any idea what function black painted 33's would have

Comment

I have one almost same as yours but with paint more dry. It has a clear battle damage (bullet entry) and....a nazi party shield decal on the left side. It had many comments and opinions some says decal is good other says no but IMHO it is genuine....more thanone collector said that some italian M33 helmet repainted in black were used by Volkssturm (?)
        Don't have pics on my data base here, will post some of them soon

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
          Thank you tankredi, would you have any idea what function black painted 33's would have
          I've consulted a friend of mine serving in the Fire Brigades (who incidentally collects militaria as well) and he knows that Italian firemen did use M33 helmets painted black to some extent. I'm waiting for some documentary evidence from him.

Comment

I’ve seen a few black painted helmets and the ones I’ve handled quite a few of them seemed to have carabinieri stencils under the black paint

Comment

Finally I was able and had the time to take some shots of mine. A real strange helmet....all war period and blood stained inside

Comment

Hope this helps....I am very cusious too since many years I own this lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tora_Tora_Tora! View Post
                  Hope this helps....I am very cusious too since many years I own this lid.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
                    Thanks for taking the time to post these pics
                    You're welcome Mate!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X