D.A.K. matchboxes find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
    In militaria collecting for almost 50 years, I have always found it best to evaluate the item, not the story. I don't doubt you found them where you found them, but that doesn't make them original. "Trust your eyes, not your ears" is a maxim I have relied upon since the beginning for me, in the 1960's, and it hasn't let me down often. The leader of the country giving his soldiers as a "gift" the cheapest item imaginable, something they received for free, would be regarded in German culture as very insulting. There are many faked matchbooks out there, and these are in that category IMO.
    Yes and i have just a little smattering of my own experience thank you firstly like many of us here so my eyes were more than open ta ...& i sought the advice of best person ive have ever known in the collecting field of German militaria my mate who has been doin so for 50yrs or so who has seen all sorts of kit etc & i got HIS second opion !?.. straight away...he bought a box off me for his own collection as he was more than happy their pedigree !?...so good enough for me.
    Also why should a box of matches not be greeted with thanks as a small gift !!??...how many boxes of matches do you think they were luggin round with them in the middle of North Afrika then ?..i would think when fightin a War in extreme conditions any little comfort no matter how big or small would be greeted with utmost thanks !..after all you cannot light a fag without a match !.

It could have been that they were part of a bundle given with other items cigarettes ,sweets etc..say at Christmas time ?..so who knows but to just dismiss them on that basis and why sell them to me for such a small sum of £10 then if they were intended to deceive !?..why not £50 or £100 ?? ...as i said i trust the origin of the items from the house clearance as i know the guy personaly ...Semovente

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X