Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about hungarian dogtags

Hello.
    The hungarian dogtags had a form that was similar to the austro-hungarian equivalent: a metal frame contained a small pieve of paper with all the informations about the identity of the bearer. The fram, in aluminium if I understand well, bore the word "HUNGARIA" and a kind of registration system made of point placed inside a grid.
    My question is: is it possible to decipher this code, and if so, how?
    And can we identify a soldier from this code alone (that is, without the paper inside thw frame)?

To be more clear, I'm adding a couple of pics taken from the Web
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ironcrown; 05-27-2017, 01:21 PM.

Hello!

I try to sum up what I know about these dog tags.
    Of course, it is possible to decipher the dog tags.
    On these M36 "azonossági jegy"/identification tags there are 10 colums and 10 rows marked from 0 to 9.
    If you would like to identify the soldier, you have to start with the 10 colums. The 10 colums can divided into 3 parts.

The first 4 colums show the code/number of the district where the soldier was born/where his born was registered.

On the left dog tag this number/code is: 1317 (where the small points are)
    1317 was the code for the settlement of Esztergom/township Tata (West-Hungary)

The following 2 colums show the date of birth (the last two numbers of it)
    On the left tag this number is: 22
    So the soldier was born in 1922

And the last 4 colums show with which number was his date of birth registered in this year (1922)
    On the left thag this number is: 0173
    So the soldier was the 173rd born in 1922 in his settlement/township.

Hope this helps something...

And the tag on the right, is a post WW2, early postwar tag

Comment

Wow, many thanks, this will be very useful
      I will take part to a recovery mission in Russia (see the links in the signature), and there are big chances to recover hungarian MIAs among others
      A last question, please. Where can I find a list of the hungarian districts with their related codes?

Comment

You are welcome!

I don't know about listst, but on this link you can write/type in the first 4 numbers/colums and than you have to push the enter button and you will see the result for the districts.

http://szlukacs.freeweb.hu/ujdogcedula/keres.php

If you find something in connection with Hungarian soldiers please let me know! If I can, I help you anytime!
        Thank you
        Regards
        Gábor

Comment

Ok, many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gabe View Post
            You are welcome!

I don't know about listst, but on this link you can write/type in the first 4 numbers/colums and than you have to push the enter button and you will see the result for the districts.

http://szlukacs.freeweb.hu/ujdogcedula/keres.php...

szia gábor,
            köszi, thats a very usefull link for me too!

Comment

So if I understand correctly this gives the soldier's date and location of birth, but not his name? So in some cases the metal part of the ID tag alone would not be enought to identify the soldier; and in all cases it would require a certain amount of research, comparisons of lists, etc?

This system of having a bump facing a number of certainly interesting and not something I have seen on any other ID tag systems.

Regards

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X