A question about a plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about a plaque

Hello everybody. This plaque comes from a private collection from Leros island, in the Aegean sea in Greece. Does anybody knows whats is it about and for what the letters stand for? Thank you in advance for the replies.
    Regards,
    Nikos.

[QUOTE=hibacusa;7571605]Hello everybody. This plaque comes from a private collection from Leros island, in the Aegean sea in Greece. Does anybody knows whats is it about and for what the letters stand for? Thank you in advance for the replies.
    Regards,
    Nikos.

To me this plaque was probably on a ship , it shows the Navy code ( nominativo militare) Of the ship , in this case NAO ( the flags besides are the same letters in the naval signal alphabete).The fact that it comes from Leros island could mean that it was on an Italian ship during WWII, due to Lero was the biggest Naval base of Regia Marina in Aegean sea and the Italian Navy command of the Area. Destroyers,torpedo boats, M.A.S. and Submarines were there till 1945 with many auxiliary boats.
    I know ...you want to know the name of the ship.. but that it is quite impossible, anyhow it is up to you to start the hunting.. let us know!
    Ciao
    Andrea

Comment

[QUOTE=andrea;7571784]
      Originally posted by hibacusa View Post
      Hello everybody. This plaque comes from a private collection from Leros island, in the Aegean sea in Greece. Does anybody knows whats is it about and for what the letters stand for? Thank you in advance for the replies.
      Regards,
      Nikos.

To me this plaque was probably on a ship , it shows the Navy code ( nominativo militare) Of the ship , in this case NAO ( the flags besides are the same letters in the naval signal alphabete).The fact that it comes from Leros island could mean that it was on an Italian ship during WWII, due to Lero was the biggest Naval base of Regia Marina in Aegean sea and the Italian Navy command of the Area. Destroyers,torpedo boats, M.A.S. and Submarines were there till 1945 with many auxiliary boats.
      I know ...you want to know the name of the ship.. but that it is quite impossible, anyhow it is up to you to start the hunting.. let us know!
      Ciao
      Andrea
      Hello Andrea. Thank you for thew reply. That's very helpful. So, if i have understood correctly, NAO stands for the code name of a battleship of Regia Marina, correct? Yes, I know about Leros, as I come from there and I study the hisory of the italian occupation and the battle for Leros. As soon as I find anything more, I let you know. Ciao

Comment

[QUOTE=hibacusa;7571897][QUOTE=andrea;7571784]

Hello Andrea. Thank you for thew reply. That's very helpful. So, if i have understood correctly, NAO stands for the code name of a battleship of Regia Marina, correct?

I presume it could be the identify code also of an auxiliary-boat not only battleship,al l vessels have a code (also nowadays ) for sure not Submarines due to we lost all ...
        It is a pleasure to know you as a historical researcher , nice to met you.
        ciao
        andrea

Comment

[QUOTE=andrea;7571955][QUOTE=hibacusa;7571897]
          Originally posted by andrea View Post

Hello Andrea. Thank you for thew reply. That's very helpful. So, if i have understood correctly, NAO stands for the code name of a battleship of Regia Marina, correct?

I presume it could be the identify code also of an auxiliary-boat not only battleship,al l vessels have a code (also nowadays ) for sure not Submarines due to we lost all ...
          It is a pleasure to know you as a historical researcher , nice to met you.
          ciao
          andrea
          Nice to meet you as well.. What does "NOMINATIVO MILITARE" mean Andrea?

Comment

[QUOTE=hibacusa;7575965][QUOTE=andrea;7571955]
            Originally posted by hibacusa View Post

Nice to meet you as well.. What does "NOMINATIVO MILITARE" mean Andrea?
            literally it is :"MILITARY NAME " ,that it could be translated as ARMY/NAVY IDENTIFICATION NUMBER/CODE
            ciao
            Andrea

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X