Italian Helemt with Spanish Civil War and DAK markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Helemt with Spanish Civil War and DAK markings

I have an olive colored World War I Italian Lippman/Adrian helmet with a World War II DAK (Afrika Korps) palm tree and swastika symbol stenciled on the left side and C.N.T. On the inside (handwritten) is "Betera" and the name "Miguel Baixauli". Betera is a city in Spain. The C.N.T. was an anti-fascist trade union. What is mysteriously unique about this helmet is the DAK symbol on a Spanish Civil War helmet. The symbol appears to be original and legitimate. Any thoughts folks?

Thanks,
    Mark

Any pics?

Many Spanish Republican refugees settled in northen Africa as the Spanish Civil War ended. French authorities put a large number of them in prisoner camps and had them working till French General Leclerc decided to fight the Germans on the side of the allies. He enrolled many former republican fighters (some of which had been anarchists , CNT) so it is possible that one of them captured an italian helmet and decorated it. That's just a possible explanation to relate a Spanish name with an Italian helmet with an anarchist and DAK symbols.

Many former Spanish Republican wrote names of battles of the SCW on their vehicles in the Leclerc division. These were the first allies to enter and liberate Paris.

Carles
    Last edited by me6_130; 07-07-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I've been browsing around and, apart from finding a similar post of your's in another WWII forum in 2013, Baixauli surname seems to be from Valencia and there is a NATO base in Bétera (Valencia) now.

Carles

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will post a photo as soon as I figure out how to do so.

Thanks, again!

Comment

Either you pay $20 to become a full association member and you post the pics directly, or....you post the pics in an external server (photobucket or other) and you link them to the thread.

Carles

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
          X