Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Naval Medal ID

Hey All,

I recently returned from a trip to Cairo, where I picked up this interesting Italian Naval medal. I'm assuming 1930s?

Edge says "Veloce e Veemente" and on the other side "Bartolomeo Colleoni R Incrociatore"

I've done a quick Google search without much luck. Is anybody out there able to offer any more information on this piece?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

This is an unofficial privately purchased souvenir-medal for the Royal ship Bartolomeo Colleoni.
    It was a light cruiser and was sunk on 19th July 1940 at Cape Spada after in a battle against the Royal Navy.

Comment

Nice medal Pattiwack..same knight who the name comes from.. is the one seated on the horse on your medal..& was used by Decima mas artillery in RSI era...cheers
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Semovente View Post
        Nice medal Pattiwack..same knight who the name comes from.. is the one seated on the horse on your medal..& was used by Decima mas artillery in RSI era...cheers
        ..yes the three RSI Artillery group had the name of three navy cruiser : colleoni, san giorgio & da giussano , all sunk during WWII.
        The name of the cruisers coming from italian legendary medieval leaders .
        Cheers

Comment

Hallo pattiewhack

This is a medal struck by Ferrea of Genoa, founded by Pietro Ferrea (1848-1915), a well-known medalist who also worked for the Navy. After his death, the enterprise guide was taken over by his two sons until 1931, when it was bought from other entrepreneurs who changed his name to Fabbrica Genovese La Medaglia and then in 1951 by Giovanni Benzo as Arte della Medaglia. A book also was written about this enterprise by Sergio Paglieri: Le medaglie di Ferrea, Istituto Grafico S. Basile, Genoa, 1983.

This is their current website:

http://www.artedellamedaglia.it/index.html

Best regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X