Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet for opinions

Good day Guys

This one is for sale locally. I am used to seeing these with the stencil markings on the front and this is the first one I have seen with a metal badge. How common was this and are there any similar ones posted on the forum for review? I have emailed asking for some interior pics and will post them once received. All comments welcome.

Barry
    Attached Files

Last 2 pics for now. Thanks for looking

Barry
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry but IMO it is a Post war helmet embellished with maybe pith helmet insignia. I don't need to see the liner . Paint looks like a spray can job over the postwar color.
      The big hole round rivets without step give it away at a glance.

Comment

Original M.33s of the pre & WWII period never had metal insignias.PaoloM

Comment

Hi Dennis and Paolo

Thanks for the fast replies

Dennis-it is a Italian pith shield. I had a look at my original M33 and also noticed the back rivet looks completely different. Thanks for pointing out the things to look out for.

Barry

Comment

Just remember this with italian rivets. I think I am correct in this assessment.

Small hole domed rivet is early and should have like a split two prong pin.

Later rivets have a 6 or 8 prong flower inside, but the wartime rivets have a little step along the front edge. The rivets are closed with a special device.

6 prong are all wartime and have a step around the edge.

8 prong are both wartime and postwar

8 prong post war the hole seems a bit bigger and do not have the step along the edge.

I have seen rivets flattened similar to the rear one on the helmet you showed , this could be a field repair, of course done either wartime or postwar.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X