No announcement yet.

RSI Difesa Di Forli' - 1944 Medal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but to stay on the subject, more two images of volunteers of the "Forlì"...

and a interesting research on this Battalion that I found in the web:

A History of Gruppo battaglioni d’assalto “Forlì”: August 1944-April 1945
    By Frederick P. Bills, Anno LXXXVII (2009)

With the proclamation of the new Italian government in the north on Sept. 23, 1943, military and paramilitary units began to reorganize in order to meet the needs of the RSI’s new armed forces.

The Compagnia d’assalto “Forlì” (Assault Company “Forlì”) was formed in August 1944 by a group of officers from the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana who joined “Compagnia della Morte” di Arezzo (“Company of Death” of Arezzo) of Brigate Nere XXXV “Don Emilio Spinelli”. Their previous unit -the 101 Gruppo Autonomo Caccia Territoriale (101st Autonomous Fighter Group)- had been disbanded after only a few months due to lack of equipment. This new formation was lead by former pilot Lieutenant Pier Riccardi Vittorio, who would continue as its leader until the end of the war.

The unit’s name “Forlì” comes from the town itself, which lies about 275 km. north of Rome and about 50 km. north of San Marino, near the Adriatic coast. The unit was raised in part to defend the city against the advancing Allied forces. It is worth noting that in the Forlì-Cesena region, is the small town of Predappio: the birth place of Mussolini and where he is currently entombed.

As the war continued, personnel would be drawn from various other branches and towards the end, large numbers of youth would constitute “Forlì”. Many of these later recruits came from the areas of Venice, Padua, Verona and Milan

The Compagnia d’assalto remained in Forlì until October 27 and on the 28 was sent south to the river Ronco. On November 9 it was attached to I. Battalion, 992 Grenadier Rgt. of the German 278 Infantry Division. “Forlì” would remain a semi-autonomous unit of the 278th until the end of the war. The unit was sent northeast of the city, to Canale di Lavaldino (Case Pettini), where on Nov. 10 & 11 it came under artillery fire and aerial attacks, but managed to hold its position against allied troops. On the 11th, the artillery fire became too heavy and the unit was forced to withdraw that night to Villafranca di Forlì on the river Montone. The next day it came under more aerial attacks and proceeded to Merlaschio, where by November 18, it was finally able to rest. The front line eventually moved up towards the Merlaschio-Faenza area and would remain there until December 18. By December 31 the unit had been strengthened to battalion size and renamed Battaglione d’assalto “Forlì” (Assault Battalion “Forlì”). The battalion progressively withdrew until February 10, 1945 when it reached the river Senio.

On February 28, 1945 the unit was sent north to Budrio, northeast of Bologna, where it was rested, refitted and strengthened once more to a “Battalion-Group” and re-titled Gruppo Battaglioni d’assalto “Forlì” (Assault Battalion Grouping “Forlì”). The group command and units undergoing formation were located in Polesella, about 70 km southwest of Venice. However, only one battalion, I Battaglione Arditi (1st Combat Battalion) was completed. The 2nd battalion was still undergoing training and 3rd battalion, which was to be composed of Bersaglieri, was still being formed by the end of the war. The group’s artillery section was also still being formed and only a received a single battery of three Cannoni da 100/17.

I Battaglione Arditi was comprised of four companies, a mortar company and a motorized section. Much of its new equipment, including rifles (K98k’s), light machineguns (MG 15’s) and Panzerfaust anti-tank rockets were supplied by the Germans. It is still unclear whether the mortar section was equipped with the German 8cm s.GrW 34 or the Italian Mortaio da 81mm Modello 35. Before returning to the front, the newly formed battalion paraded before the 278 ID’s CO, Generalleutnant Harry Hoppe.
    The battalion reentered combat sometime in March with the 278 ID and sent again to the river Senio, this time south of Imola, where it occupied the large mountain bluff of Vena del Gesso. To their right flank was the 278’s Regiment 992, which held the line from the Riva d. Biagio to the town of Borgo Tossignano near the river Santerno. Operations in this area were limited to patrols and defensive actions; “Forlì” mined a narrow pass (w/ German Tellermine 43) between it and the 993 Regiment, with machine gun posts overlooking it.
    The Battalion’s forward position overlooked a depression on the northern bank of the Senio, where they faced their own country men; two battalions of the “San Marco” Regiment, “Folgore” Combat Group. It was composed of British equipped Italian soldiers who had volunteered to fight with the Allies back in September 1943. Along with the “San Marco” battalions was the Italian “Friuli” Combat Group.
    In April 1945, the allies launched an offensive in the direction of Bologna. “Forlì” and the 278th were forced to loose ground and in the process some units became encircled. The 992 Rgt. managed to break through the American lines around April 24, east of Vicenza and “Forlì” reached the Po river by April 25, where it disbanded not long after, possibly on the Adige river. The 278 ID continued its retreat towards Feltre (about 75 Km northwest of Venice) over the Brenta river into Piave river valley. On the May 2, 1945 Generalleutnant Hoppe surrendered the division in Agordo Valley.

Sources:
    -Pisanò, Giorgio. Gli Ultimi in Grigioverde. Storia delle Forze Armate della Repubblica Sociale Italien. Volume IV. (p.2269-2292), 1967. Reprint: C.D.L. Edizioni SRL - Milano, 1994.
    -Sparacino, Fausto. Distintivi e medagile della R.S.I.. (pp.12, 28, 54 & 58). Editrice Militare Italiana, Milano 1988.
    -Sparacino, Fausto. Distintivi e medagile della R.S.I. Volume II. (p. 15)
    Editrice Militare Italiana, Milano 1994.
    -Altenburger, Andreas. “Gliederungen der 278. Infanterie-Divisionen, Grenadier-Regiment 992”
    - Lexikon-der-wehrmacht
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mufasa; 11-12-2016, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Battaglione forli

This is a correct story of the "Forli" but there are inside some mistake:

The name of first commander was Pier Vittorio Riccardi,but in the last period the operational command was assigned to Lt. Adelago Federighi, wich book is the main reference on this unit
      It is also to be pointed out, on the red part higlined by you, that as written on Pisano and Federighi book The Compagnia d’assalto remained in Forlì until October 27 and on the 28 was sent south to the river Ronco . At that time the unit as a whole had already been renamed "Battaglione d'Assalto “Forlì” " on September 1944.
      What was attached to the 278.e Infanterie (later Volksgrenadier) Division was a single assault company detached from the battalion, formed by the only reasonably "combat ready" elements. Reportedly it was a very small unit, just a reinforced platoon with little more than 50 men ( the noted 28 men, more or less) and it was the only part of the first unit "Forli" that did saw any consistent frontline use in 1944.
      The 2 photos have been also done during 1945, as a matter of fact the first boy on second line in the group photo is the Vet Mainardis, I spoke some post ago, who reach the unit on 1945 (he was the yungest teen-ager Of the Arditi!).
      Ciao
      Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by andrea View Post
        This is a correct story of the "Forli" but there are inside some mistake:

The name of first commander was Pier Vittorio Riccardi,but in the last period the operational command was assigned to Lt. Adelago Federighi, wich book is the main reference on this unit
        It is also to be pointed out, on the red part higlined by you, that as written on Pisano and Federighi book The Compagnia d’assalto remained in Forlì until October 27 and on the 28 was sent south to the river Ronco . At that time the unit as a whole had already been renamed "Battaglione d'Assalto “Forlì” " on September 1944.
        What was attached to the 278.e Infanterie (later Volksgrenadier) Division was a single assault company detached from the battalion, formed by the only reasonably "combat ready" elements. Reportedly it was a very small unit, just a reinforced platoon with little more than 50 men ( the noted 28 men, more or less) and it was the only part of the first unit "Forli" that did saw any consistent frontline use in 1944.
        The 2 photos have been also done during 1945, as a matter of fact the first boy on second line in the group photo is the Vet Mainardis, I spoke some post ago, who reach the unit on 1945 (he was the yungest teen-ager Of the Arditi!).
        Ciao
        Andrea

Thanks Andrea for the interesting additions and clarifications ..... the battle for Forli is the "victory" (then the orderly retread) of the ID 278 with his men (including our volunteers of Forli Btl) of 7/8 september and the subsequent counterattack ordered by Hitler to please Mussolini and his propaganda on the strength of his hometown from 9 to 12/13 september .... , is a subject all to deepen and rediscover ....

I'm working as I said around a nice Wehrpass of another Battailon aggregated to the 278 (see the nice Forli Nahkampftag!!) , that when I have finished II post here.....
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post

I'm working as I said around a nice Wehrpass of another Battailon aggregated to the 278 (see the nice Forli Nahkampftag!!) , that when I have finished II post here.....
          ..that is a spot-on Oriano,the meaning of our hobby, to speak about the real history to understand the meaning of the awards we love, and not to speak on the boring fake medal we used to see...
          Ciao
          Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by andrea View Post
            ..that is a spot-on Oriano,the meaning of our hobby, to speak about the real history to understand the meaning of the awards we love, and not to speak on the boring fake medal we used to see...
            Ciao
            Andrea
            ...the truth is out there !...

Comment

Originally posted by Semovente View Post
              ...the truth is out there !...
              thank's my friend

There is also a very rare inscription about this battle on the Italian Star: "Capture of Forli"....

very rare!

ciao Oriano
              Attached Files

Comment

Ciao Mufasa...any time friend...i have to say i have never seen the Forli clasp/bar on the Italy star before !...i will ask my Medal man friend if he has one ?...very interesting Mufasa...yes rare too...Semovente

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X