Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSI Difesa Di Forli' - 1944 Medal.

Hello All,

I am new to this site and I collect primarily Italian militaria of WW2.
    This medal features in my collection and various sources state that it’s a Post-war Medal for Veterans of Compagnia d’assalto Forlì.

Slight damage made of Silver marked 800 and not a copy.
    No information in the Distintivi e medaglie della R.S.I. 1943-45 Vol 1&2 Books.

The medal is depicted in an artist’s rendering in Giorgio Pisanò‘s Gli Ultimi in Grigioverde. Storia delle Forze Armate della Repubblica Sociale Italien. Volume IV on page 2281 and shows the medal with a red-white ribbon.

You can find a copy of it here:http://www.ww2militaria.biz/en/fascist-medals.html

I also have in my collection the:
    Cross of Sacrifice for Veterans of the Italian Social Republic

RSI veterans medal 1961.

RSI medal of propaganda.

Is the Difesa Di Forli' medal rare?

I only see X.... You might want to consider getting a full membership !
    ($20 a year, well worth it)

Comment

Sorry this should work.

Comment

The pretext to reopen this topic it is a a war magazine that I found Yesterday, but before I post back this medal that it has disappeared (It is not mine!)
        Attached Files

Comment

I do not know much about this medal, although it is probably a post war coinage it (the original silver, because there are bad copies in poor metal) it is very rare and expensive!

It was probably coined (but I am not sure) for the soldiers of the "Battaglione d'Assalto Forli" faascist volunteers who fought in Forli with the Grenadier Regiment 992 of the German 278 Division
          Attached Files

Comment

the italian magazine "Domenica del Corriere" date december in 1944 (published in Milan under fascist control): about the battle (and the Allied conquest) of Forli the first days of November 1944.

I translate:
            Heroic people of Romagna. In Forlì (Refers the enemy news agencies) for a whole day, francs fascists shooters and women of the people have greatly hindered the entry of / Anglo-American troops, firing from the windows and piles of rubble
            Attached Files

Comment

It 'a propagnada cover: Indeed the people of Forli made no action against the Allies (no armed or unarmed counteraction) but the Allied corresponding describe the coldness of the people against them, no crowds to waiting or to acclaim (alsp after the passage of the front in the city of Mussolini!)

here are the pictures of the arrival of Allies in Forli in Piazzale della Vittoria
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
                I do not know much about this medal, although it is probably a post war coinage it (the original silver, because there are bad copies in poor metal) it is very rare and expensive!

It was probably coined (but I am not sure) for the soldiers of the "Battaglione d'Assalto Forli" faascist volunteers who fought in Forli with the Grenadier Regiment 992 of the German 278 Division
                it is a post war veterans medal , "maybe" given to the few who survive of the "Compagnia d'assalto Forli" initially only 28 men , that fought for the defense of the City of Forli with the Germans
                The "1st Battaglione d'assalto Forli" was created some months after by the same soldiers and many young volunteers coming from all north Italy, and was deployed on the Gotich line.
                ciao
                Andrea

Comment

I post ina while a nice Wehrpass centered on the battle of Forli ..... and I put in the meantime some more photos of this battalion aggregated to the 994 Grenadier Regiment....

here awarded from the officers of the 278 ID
                  Attached Files

Comment

near Forli.... note the mixed armament
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
                        near Forli....
                        hello Mufasa, is right "near Forli" but as you know (Rimini citizen) these well know photos has been taken from the books "gli ultimi in Grigioverde" - Pisanò, and R.S.I. of Nino Arena and were made on february/march 1945 on the sud front line between Riva San Biagio & Vena del Gesso where the 1st battaglione Forli was deployed toghter with the 278 grenadier Berlin Brandeburg. the photo of the soldiers during a ghatering ,as wrote also by the Vet Luigi Mainardis on his book ,where taken in Budrio (BO) on february 1945 before to reach the front (see as young are some guys!!).
                        the photo of the Germarn officer - Colonel Boeffer (?)- awarding with an E.K.II an "Ardito del Forli "was done on march 1945 on the gothic line, probably close to the Senio river.
                        Again to avoid confusion in order to do not gave a "wartime location " to the medal posted here, as I wrote before only 28 men fought in the city of Forli during october 44' with the Germans , the balance 200/300 hundred soldiers of 1st battaglione Forli were enlisted during the end of 1944, at that time the City of Forli was already occupied (from the first week of november ) by the allies.
                        So maybe the medal posted here was given postwar to someone of the 28 vets .
                        Andrea
                        ciao
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting additions and informatons! Many thanks Andrea!!

Ciao Oriano

Comment

Gents great stuff very interesting...notice that the weapon been shoulderd is a B.R.N,O made Czech light machine gun...straight mag sister type to the British Bren gun...no doubt captured German war booty !...cheers Semovente...

Comment

Originally posted by Semovente View Post
                              Gents great stuff very interesting...notice that the weapon been shoulderd is a B.R.N,O made Czech light machine gun...straight mag sister type to the British Bren gun...no doubt captured German war booty !...cheers Semovente...
                              the Germans used the ZB 26 intensively (MG 26 t for the wahrmacht).... it is not a "Mg 42" but remained a good light machine gun.... in Waffen SS hands...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X