Italian SS helmet M33 (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SSTk View Post
    Ric, I cannot speak for Kelly but we correspond regularly on this and other matters concerning SS decals, and while this is still in it's infancy I have done enough work with them on many fakes (not nearly enough yet however) and on many SS helmets including many published in Kelly;s books that I either own or have been on loan to me to determine there are certain patterns to real and fakes at this level of detail. There are over 60 SS helmets in my collection and I have examined many many more but much more work needs to be done. (not enough time in the day! )

There is no question ultra high level magnification exposes fakes, and I have done work on a very good double runic EF fake that by the pictures was very very good, the owner sent it to me and under magnification it was obvious it was a fake made to decieve as it compared 100% to the known and very good EF fake SS decal that visually is very hard to tell except for very experienced SS collectors. 400x magnification exposed and verified it.

As well there is archaeometric work being done that will add another level of science to the mix, to help collectors determine real from fake. Preliminary results have been posted here on WAF and GHW by member Maui / DMC that are very exciting.

Very interesting, but my first question is still on : is it possible in your opinion to certify such decal is period made/applied without having a good one identical to compare with ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ric Ferrari View Post
      Very interesting, but my first question is still on : is it possible in your opinion to certify such decal is period made/applied without having a good one identical to compare with ?
      Is there a known fake that is available to compare to?

Comment

Originally posted by SSTk View Post
        Is there a known fake that is available to compare to?

All the ones posted by other members are supposed fake, but to my knowledge the decals alone are not available on the market.

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by Ric Ferrari View Post
          All the ones posted by other members are supposed fake, but to my knowledge the decals alone are not available on the market.

Ric
          It would not be definitive Ric even with a known fake or known original to compare to but still, I am willing to bet that detailed digital magnification would show traits of real or fake known decals even without a comparable Italian SS decal.

It would take the conversation down another path in any case and there are areas of this SS decal I would be keying into at 400x if it were in my possession.

Being an SS helmet collector, this is one helmet that is most interesting to view and interesting discussion Ric.
          Cheers
          Doug

Comment

Stefano (flashider) requested that I submit the following photos of a helmet . Not a decal but a hand paint and camo.

I took the photos outside today ,but the sun was not cooperating.
            Attached Files

Comment

hand painted decal
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I had just seen the photos of this helmet probably in another Forum.
                              The situation is different from the other helmet because it bears
                              one of the known kinds of the stencilled SS Italiana hand painted
                              shields.The paint and the camo look old.PaoloM

Comment

I posted it a long time ago. I cannot remember where. I think here and someone reposted it elsewhere. I think I only posted one photo. I have owned this helmet a very long time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X