Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Espana shield opinions?

Dear Forum Members,

This is a bevo Espana foreign volunteer shield. I would very much appreciate comments / opinions on it from our knoweledgible members.

Thanks to everyone in advance!
    Attached Files

Espana shield opinions?

Back of the shield
    Attached Files

Comment

Espana shield opinions?

This shield came with a small batch of insignia that turned up at an estate of a veteran who was in occupation Germany right after the war.

Thanks again.

Comment

This is not for your collection.

The shield below is original. Note the large letter A.

Bob Hritz
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bob Hritz; 12-07-2008, 05:58 PM.
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I would agree with Bob.

An original has been shown in the headgear forum by Vic the other day.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Verso: original.

Bob Hritz
            Attached Files

Comment

Espana shield opinions?

Thanks Bob for your valued opinion, much appreciated!

Comment

Franco era shield

If i'm not mistaken the shield that started this thread is actually not a fake, its an original,
                however it is considered a POST WAR pattern original shield. Why is it still original?
                because these were worn as "commemorative campaign shields" in Franco's Spanish army, post war period,
                so post war manufactured for that purpose.

So in that sense it is not a repro, it is made post war for Franco's army to wear on their uniform sleeve or kept as a commemorative piece by Russian front Spanish veterans.
                With that said it does have some collectable value, but only as a post 1945 piece of military insignia.
                Here's mine (bottom right)...also post war as it lacks the tall "A" and the back ground material is a darker green...

If you want a war time version, definitely go look for a "tall A" version with lighter green backing material!
                Nick
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 12-07-2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DKNYC71 View Post
                  Thanks Bob for your valued opinion, much appreciated!
                  Any time, my friend.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Sorry Nick, but the first one can´t be considered as a original made for veterans, but just as a fake. The reasons? Well, these were made for my friends from a modern militaria shop in Madrid just to be sold as a copy in the late 80´s or early 90´s, I don´t remember well the year. This can be bought still today in shops in Spain for 3 euros only. There aren´t veterans from the Blue Division in service in the spanish Army or Air Force in the years when these badges were manufactured and sold, so they were worn never as a "conmemorative campaign shield".
                    The price of original spanish versions, normaly manufactured in the 50´s and 60´s, is 60-120 euros, depending the type. Shamples hand-embroided are more expensive.
                    Regards
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
                      Sorry Nick, but the first one can´t be considered as a original made for veterans, but just as a fake. The reasons? Well, these were made for my friends from a modern militaria shop in Madrid just to be sold as a copy in the late 80´s or early 90´s, I don´t remember well the year. This can be bought still today in shops in Spain for 3 euros only. There aren´t veterans from the Blue Division in service in the spanish Army or Air Force in the years when these badges were manufactured and sold, so they were worn never as a "conmemorative campaign shield".
                      The price of original spanish versions, normaly manufactured in the 50´s and 60´s, is 60-120 euros, depending the type. Shamples hand-embroided are more expensive.
                      Regards
                      Greg
                      OK thanks for further explaining. I lived for 6 months in Madrid in 1985(and visited the Rastro market and met other collectors from Spain) and this was the story I heard...I believed it because these were the "facts" from local collectors...

Also this well known foreign volunteers web site owned by a fellow WAF member explains my story (scroll to very bottom)...
                      " the shield shown is Spanish made and issued to "Blue Division veterans"
                      The link here:

http://axis101.bizland.com/SpanishAwards03.htm
                      Last edited by NickG; 12-11-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Hi, Gregorio Torres is more knowledgeable then I am in regards to these post-war Spanish made shields. I bought this type of shield from a Spanish dealer who told that veterans wore it. In addition, the Spanish Brotherhood of the Blue Division had or probably still has a small museum where at one time I believe it illustrated this post-war shield. It is safe to say that veterans wear what ever they want on their clothes and there is no official specific sleeve insignia that were issued or required to wear just my two cents.

Rene Chavez
                        http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X