Italian WW2 Arm Shield ID Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian WW2 Arm Shield ID Help Please

Hello Everybody.....I picked this one out of a bunch of Italian bringbacks this weekend because I liked the design. Can anybody tell me what unit this was worn by?

Thanks,

John
    Attached Files

Seems to be bronze, or maybe bronze over zinc?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
      Hello Everybody.....I picked this one out of a bunch of Italian bringbacks this weekend because I liked the design. Can anybody tell me what unit this was worn by?

Thanks,

John
      Fifth anti paratrooper battalion arm shield 1944 1945

Giorgio

Comment

Originally posted by ITALIANWARFRONT View Post
        Fifth anti paratrooper battalion arm shield 1944 1945

Giorgio
        Hi Giorgio:

Thank you very much for the information.

Kindest Regards,

John

Comment

nice and rare armshield of the “V Btg.” Antiparacadutisti of the RSI,
          The V battalion was dislocated to Vergiate (Varese) and Cannobbio (Novara).
          This armshield was produced from the Lorioli company of Milan in brass
          metal painted with green dark green color/clearly.
          To the beginnings of autumn 1944, with the units of flight disabled to
          operate for gasoline lack, were constituted nine Btg.Antipara named
          in the Div. "Azzurra" (blue) at the commander of del General B.A. Cerutti Marziale.
          This battalions have functions of garrison to localities of relief, antiaircraft
          and of sabotage in the comparisons of the partisans.
          The battalions shields are composed of nine exemplary one for every battalion, but
          they came some only produced for four the V, and IX battalions.
          These shields are product for stamp in brass metal and painted with different
          colors, exist in two version large and small (the type of John is large)
          They are all the reproduced in the book “Italian shields 1930-1946”
          of Francesco Tavoletti.
          regards
          Raffaello
          Last edited by Raffaello Carola; 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM.
          "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

page 166 “Italian shields 1930-1946” of Francesco Tavoletti.
            Attached Files
            "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

Hi Raffaello:

Thank you for the very detailed and most interesting information on this shield.

It really makes the piece come to life when you can attach the history to the men who wore the piece!

Kindest Regards,

John

Comment

I see a lot of these for sale on E-bay on occasion from a seller from Italy that is notorious for fakes. I have never had a fake in hand. Can anyone
                advise the differences to look out for.

Comment

HI Dennis:

From what I have learned since I picked up this shield, the fakes are made from a different material than the originals. It is possible that they are made from a different die, I do not know for sure though..for example a die may have been created first hand from an original shield or cut anew from the design. If you have any links to the copy ones I would like to see them to study.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
                    I see a lot of these for sale on E-bay on occasion from a seller from Italy that is notorious for fakes. I have never had a fake in hand. Can anyone
                    advise the differences to look out for.
                    Hi Dennis,
                    yes exist an good copy of this shield, those are the backside photos of
                    two original shield.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Jhon is possible to have an close up photo of back side of the shield
                        thanks, Raffaello

Comment

Rafaello, Why does the second shield reverse appear raised on my monitor, Like an inverted reverse. Looking at Johns it appears the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
                            Rafaello, Why does the second shield reverse appear raised on my monitor, Like an inverted reverse. Looking at Johns it appears the same.

Dennis I think it has been folded by soldier to join the best arm of tunic

Comment

No, what I mean is on the first photo you show of the reverse the eagle and letters appear as usual on shields , but the reverse on Johns and your second one appear the eagle and letters are raised ,but still opposite of the front. Maybe it's just an optical illusion to my old eyes. I hope I am not confusing you with my question. In other words the backs of the two look like reversed fronts to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X