Verona - Garda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verona - Garda

I was wondering if there where any architectural or other remains of the fascist era in or around Garda or Verona?

Hi Michael,
    if you'll have a trip in the Verona-Brescia-Garda area, I can advise you
    to visit the town of Salo' in the Brescia province along the Brescian side
    of the Garda Lake
    . There you'll find what you're looking for about the RSI,
    in fact Salo', in the 1943-45 period became the capital of the fascist republic.
    According to the map below, kept from the recently published work 'Mussolini
    Ultimo Atto-I luoghi della Repubblica Sociale Italiana a Salo', published by
    the Centro Studi e Documentazione sul periodo storico della RSI,2004,you can
    find all the intact residences occupied by the Germans and by the fascist authorities of the time. Cheers PaoloM
    Attached Files

Comment

Particulars:
      4) Former Liceo E. Fermi: residence of the E.Muti Bde and of the X^ Mas
      6)Former Civic college: residence of the HQ GNR
      7)Male Oratory: Salo' Black Brigades
      9)Castagna Palace: HQ Republican Police
      10)Former Carabinieri barracks: Republican GNR
      12)Former Italia Hotel: Guardia del Duce
      17) Villa Besana: SS HQ in Italy
      GARDONE RIVIERA area:
      Villa Alba: Radio Station
      Villa Maria Elisabetta: German Hospital
      Villa Paradiso: the accomodation for Rahn's men
      Villa Roma: German Military HCommand
      Villa Benvenuti: the German consolate
      Villa Fioprdaliso: Claretta's villa
      grand Hotel Gardone: Garrison Hospital
      grand Hotel Riviera: Garrison Hospital
      TOSCOLANO MADERNO:
      Hotel Golfo: the Fascist Party Secretariat
      Elementary schools: the ministry for Internal Affairs
      Villa Bassetti: Rahn's garrison
      GARGNANO
      Villa delle Orsoline: DUCE's HQs
      Villa Feltrinelli: DUCE's villa
      Palazzo Bettoni: The RSI government building
      Palazzo Magnolini: Personal guards of the Duce

Have a nice trip!, Ciao PaoloM

Comment

Hallo Paolo
        Thank you very much for the information! I'm definitely going to bring a visit to Salo. I don't think there are any directions of this past in the city itself?
        Are these houses inhabited nowadays?

Ciao
        Michael

Comment

No troubles in finding this town. All the hotels and the town has inhabitants
          and tourists.I've gone once several years ago. A lovely place to stay and also
          to taste typical Italian food and good wine of the place.Ciao, PaoloM

Comment

Ciao Paolo,

Very interesting all this about Salò.
            Last November, I passed nearby Salò, on the way to Merano, but unfortunately I had no time to visit the place.One day I will go for sure!

For sure that some Italians are still nostalgic when they visited Salò....
            It is the same feelings when they visited Mussolini's Tomb, in Predappio...
            Attached Files

Comment

Mussolinis Tomb

Has Mussolini a Tomb? Is his body actually there. So they hang him upside down defile his body and then he gets a Tomb. What happened to Clara Petacci a paupers grave or something better. I find it interesting that both Hitler and Mussolini had women willing to die with them. Loyality like that doesnt grow on trees.
              Robert

Comment

Karl Wolff's Residence

Paolo,
                Are there any pictures of Karl Wolffs residence ?
                jimtoncar

Comment

His residence was in Villa Besana, but I don't have any picture.
                  Bye PaoloM

Comment

wolff's residence

Thanks Paolo,
                    At least this is a start , I have a very large Photo album of Karl Wolff in Italy and it shows a number of houses , perhaps on of the other Italian Forum members can help ? thanks again.
                    jim toncar

Comment

Hello,
                      you can see here some interesing site in Salò (in italian, but you must click on orange arrow to see some picture of fascist site)
                      http://www.centrorsi.it/notizie/Perc...-italiana.html
                      cheers,
                      BrunoC

Comment

Originally posted by jimt View Post
                        Paolo,
                        Are there any pictures of Karl Wolffs residence ?
                        jimtoncar

Karl Wolff had two houses on Lake Garda. A private apartment in the centre of Desenzano del Garda and his official residence, also SS Headquarters in Italy, in Gardone Riviera, at Villa Besana that was in the park of the Hotel Savoy Palace ... I know only this old photo of Villa Besana (from this site of the local tourist offices), and I think that has been renovated or demolished ...

http://www.hoteledensalo.it/image/Do...ca_di_salo.pdf
                        Attached Files

Comment

If your going to be up in the Garda area do not miss a visit to "Vittoriale" the former home of Gabrielle D'Annunzio. The grounds are spectacular with a beautiful view of Lake Garda . It includes his residence , a museum, a WW1 complete Mas boat he commanded , the biplane he flew over Viena and the cruiser Puglia mounted on the side of the hill. The museum part is not large but has many fascist banners, uniforms and also presentation daggers that I never imagined existed.

Read a bit of his personal history first to fully understand what you are looking at.
                          He was an eccentric character who was both a warrior and poet among other things.

He was put out to pasture and the estate was a gift. Mussolini is supposed to have said something like he is like a cavity and you have two choices either extract it or cover it with gold. Mussolini choose the latter.

Plan spending the whole day to absorb the whole place. I highly recommend it and enjoyed it much more than the typical tourist spots. Most of the vistiters seemed to be Italians as he is somewhat unknown to us or foreign tourists. There is alo a small outdoor cafe where you can grab a panini or a glass of vino or beer.
                          Attached Files

Comment

D'Annunzio
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cruiser Puglia
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X