C.A.I. Italian Expeditionary Air Force in Belgium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C.A.I. Italian Expeditionary Air Force in Belgium

The Italian C.A.I. (Corpo Aereo Italiano )in Belgium (late 1940-1941) was deployed on request
    of Hitler to support the future invasion of England,
    with Italian planes (bombers, recognition and fighters) and ground forces of the R. Aeronautica.
    Mussolini agreed, but due to the extreme cold climate, the Italian ground forces
    were supplied with German boots and long LW trousers.
    Here's a complete uniform of an Italian NCO of this unit:

....... PaoloM
    Last edited by marpo; 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM.

The Italian ground forces, the most part of the R.Aeronautica, were issued
    with the usual M.33 helmets, in grey-green colour with front decal and right
    side tri-colour shield with black fascio printed on. A very nice and smart helmet,
    but frankly out of any mind if compared with the German one.

...... PaoloM

Comment

It seems that some bombers'crews used these decalled helmets if it is true
      the photo below showing two British RAF officers looking at an helmet
      of this kind found after the wreckage of a BR 20 bomber shot down
      in England after an Italian raid:

The tri-colour shield decal should be glued on the right side of the helmet,
      but do exist some specimen of these rare helmets with the shield put
      on the left side:

and also on front, beneath the front Savoy eagle.

Ciao PaoloM
      Last edited by marpo; 12-23-2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Another of these helmets:

Bye, PaoloM

Comment

That photo of the RAF men looking at the helmet after a crash is very interesting. Thanks for posting this info that I had never heard about before.

JL

Comment

Another photo coming from UK, published at the time for propaganda purposes: this m.33 worn by a British RAF pilot with a 'fiasco' of
            Chianti wine on his left hand after having shot down a BR20 bomber.
            Bye, PaoloM
            Attached Files

Comment

Another variant of this helmet, this time blue colour.Bye, PaoloM
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Paolo sorry....
                  But from the photos....IMO this last one is fake

Bad decals and paint job....

Comment

The only thing that maybe suspect is the slighty larger tri-colour shield.
                    Flashider are you sure they reproduce the CAI decals? I'm not aware of this.
                    I had seen in the past another CAI helmet blue colour, so I can't say by the
                    only paint job.However if you've more elements let us know.By the way the
                    photos, are not good and the front decal looks good to me.They're generally
                    very light decals, of poor quality, easy to fade and to be broken. PaoloM

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo Marzetti View Post
                      The only thing that maybe suspect is the slighty larger tri-colour shield.
                      Flashider are you sure they reproduce the CAI decals? I'm not aware of this.
                      I had seen in the past another CAI helmet blue colour, so I can't say by the
                      only paint job.However if you've more elements let us know.By the way the
                      photos, are not good and the front decal looks good to me.They're generally
                      very light decals, of poor quality, easy to fade and to be broken. PaoloM
                      Paolo,
                      I saw in the last edition of militalia one fake C.A.I. helmet...So I can say for sure: "They build them!!!"

Do you have better photos of this last helmet?

You are right....I don't like the tricolour of the helmet you posted in the post #3(The frontal eagle of this helmet appears original but is very difficult to judge from that photo)

The last helmet appears completely rebuild to me.

I like the helmets you posted before ....Specially at the post number #2 and #4.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have better photos.However the matter needs a deeper
                        search, expecially on the decals. If you've seen a faked helmet of this kind
                        they have made the decals! So also this field has become a mine field!
                        I don't know what we'll ever collect in the next few years...
                        PaoloM

Comment

I like that i #3 post!!!
                          With this pics i can't say nothing about this helmets, because i can't look some particolarities.
                          In every case is it right what say Flash, exist the copies of the decals but not from the last edition of Militaria but from lot of years, problably in the last times the quality can be better.
                          About the blue one IMO i don't like very much, looks artificially aged but all can be!
                          Unlucky this ones are rare birds!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X