Italian FRONTE RUSSO Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian FRONTE RUSSO Badge

Someone discussed the Fronte Rvsso badge in an earlier thread. Here are two of mine both versions .the earlier model is missing the pin ,but shows the hinge and atachments well
    Attached Files

Backs note hinges and where the casting on the later still shows the original settings for the pin back
    Attached Files

Comment

I bought one of these from "Pieces of History " back in 1997 ..it had the pin mounted between the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I found a ref book that said the pin was always mounted behind the Sword so the one they were selling was a repro. So I called them and they refunded my money. After that , I started seeing POH selling these on Ebay with the Pin in the correct position behind the Sword...hate to admit it but , guess I helped him ?
      Whenever I see one of these now with the "outline" showing where to place the Pin (12 to 6 ) ..It makes me wonder

Comment

One thing though Dennis ...the example you posted on the right doesn't match the POH pattern ..the lettering looks larger and the Pin is different.
        But the one on the left matches the Pieces of History Badges.
        From what I've seen , POH always used a safety pin style catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike P. View Post
          I bought one of these from "Pieces of History " back in 1997 ..it had the pin mounted between the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I found a ref book that said the pin was always mounted behind the Sword so the one they were selling was a repro. So I called them and they refunded my money. After that , I started seeing POH selling these on Ebay with the Pin in the correct position behind the Sword...hate to admit it but , guess I helped him ?
          Whenever I see one of these now with the "outline" showing where to place the Pin (12 to 6 ) ..It makes me wonder
          Hello Mike, I've this by an uncle of my wife since 1962. He was with the
          Bersaglieri in Russia:

It is made by zamac, not cast.Just to know: what is the title of the ref. book in which you've found the pin was always mounted behind the
          sword? It looks very strange to me, even if that's not my main interest in the militaria field.Any answer welcome...
          Bye. PaoloM
          Last edited by marpo; 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Marpo ...Thanks for posting that . Your example however does not match up with the left one Dennis posted ..I still think that might be a "Pieces Of History" item.
            Compare the details on the Swords and look at the extra metal that they didn't cut off (clean up) up by or under the right Sword Handle ..also under the Savoy Knot ..
            I don't know if "POH" has a website but , they use to print catalogs selling many of their repros ..not really trusted over here for selling real items so I hope you can understand my concern.

Look at how your back completely differs from the other style...it's nice seeing an original that has a family provenance
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

the Russian front badge exist in more repro with little
              differences, the badge of Dennis is difficult to give an
              opinion with this photo, another detail photo of the back
              side is better to give an final response.
              These are some photos of fakes badges of Fronte Russo
              the details of repro are good only the back side pin with
              the productor name words have scarce definition.
              cheers, Raffaello
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Raffaello Carola; 11-20-2007, 11:07 AM.
              "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

Attached Files
                "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

Oh yes, now I've understood.However, for what I know in this complicate
                  field,the original badges of this period, made by zamac, were extremely light,
                  not heavy, very easy to be broken. And more, there were several companies
                  that produced these badges, having all the same drawing but sometimes
                  with different thickness.The pin back vertical or oblique along the Shashka sword.Besides, they were produced also very long after the WWII period
                  for veterans in service and for those not in service and their associations.
                  Thanks,ciao PaoloM

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gents ...I tried finding the article but ...That was 10 years ago and my memory was better back then
                      I remember an Italian Collector Emailing me a photo of a Book (written in Italy) , it had detailed black & white pictures but , I couldn't read the text ..he provided a translation. Also ..either Military Advisor or Axis ? Publications had a detailed article that also mentioned the position of the pin.
                      I always liked this Award ..to me it was a lasting Tribute to many Soldiers that were lost...and I was able to find another example years ago ...if I can find it , I'll post a few pictures of it. With repros of these out there and no real info available to us ..I always had my reservations about them , including the one I still have.

Comment

Maybe the Tavoletti's book:'Nel Mondo delle Riproduzioni' H&W Italiana Ed
                        (ISBN 88-7133-356-7) ? There it is shown one specimen cast, with oblique
                        pin back. PaoloM

Comment

Originally posted by marpo View Post
                          Maybe the Tavoletti's book:'Nel Mondo delle Riproduzioni' H&W Italiana Ed
                          (ISBN 88-7133-356-7) ? There it is shown one specimen cast, with oblique
                          pin back. PaoloM

BRAVO Paolo this is the scan of the repro of Fronte Russo badge
                          Tavoletti's book page 10. (ISBN 88-7133-366-7) Hobby and Work editor
                          with friendship, Raff
                          Attached Files

Comment

the pin back
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow ...now that's a style I've never seen before

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X