Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Italian Aviation Badges

Hello All

I have been collecting Italian Aviation badges for a few years now. I have recently noticed a large number of a new type appearing the past year or so. I suppose that I may have missed these before and they are perfectly ok, but I am somewhat suspicious, particularly with the price increases for these the past couple of years. I do not remember seeing this type of molded badge before. The only molded type badge I thought were original are the ones marked “BOMISA MILANO”. Are the ones I am now seeing fake, or am I just paranoid?

Thanks,

Lee
    Attached Files

Hi Lee!
    You're not paranoid!!! You're a collector , and I think that's the right way to approching in this danger field called militaria! Not only the 'Bomisa' proofed badget are original. 'Bomisa' was one of prominet builder of italian army badge and pins during the WWII , mostly alluminium made, but lots of it are not marked in any way. In the last times, lots of this kind of badge are selling by lots of delear, more than usually seeing in the past... Its rough made, simply constructions and molding, make a piece easily reproducted, and make me really doubtfull about this ones...

IMHO, as the same!

Frank Savage

Comment

It depends

Hi Lee.
      IMO not necessarely.
      Not only one producer made this air speciality badges and the quality of the materials and manufacts changed a lot from time to time, from peace time to war time and the end of the war.
      Is also possible to find reproductions, but is common in all collector' s fields.
      So keep on collecting and keep your eyes open.

Comment

Friends, for your files! I'm posting the original document of 1942 that stated
        the issue of these special flight badges to the Regia Aeronautica.
        I completed this collection thirty years ago at least, so I suppose my badges
        are not repro fakes.The most part are made with zamac.Only the second
        at left from top is a sort of aluminium.None is apparently marked.For what I know the fakes are not made with zamac because unpossible to make nowdays with that material.

Ciao PaoloM
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Paolo Marzetti; 12-30-2014, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks Frank and Fabio and also to Paolo for posting the documents. Paolo, do you have a close-up photo of the back of your badge that is made out of aluminum? I would very much like to see it.

Thanks,

Lee

Comment

Hi,

Do you have a much larger scan of those original badge specifications? I would like to read them.

Thanks,

Tod

Comment

At the moment I can't modify or enlarge my posted photos. Maybe Raffaello
              can modify them . Bye, PaoloM

Comment

Originally posted by marpo View Post
                At the moment I can't modify or enlarge my posted photos. Maybe Raffaello
                can modify them . Bye, PaoloM

Dear Paolo,

thanks for the info about the Regia Aereonautica badge
                I have enlarge your pics, but are not clear please send me
                large pics.
                with friendship
                Raff
                Attached Files
                "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

An old thread, but still very interesting and worthy to be expanded

I would like to know your last opinions about the type shown at the first post, the unmarked aluminium badge.
                  Some collectors have doubt that these are good.
                  I think that the badges of this type are original. I have some in my collection and are very well made, with a great finish. In my opinion they were also made by Bomisa, as a lot produced before or after the well known maker marked lot. The pin set-up is very similar in the two variations, although oriented in different ways.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The back of another badge compared to the back of a marked Bomisa
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Ironcrown for the info and refreshing this thread. I had forgotten about it. Sometime after I started this thread I came across some old aviation collecting magazines, I think they were from the 1980’s, and I noticed a badge or badges of this type. I guess I had really not noticed this type earlier and started to pay attention to them in about 2006 and after. At the time I thought they may have just started to appear, but I was wrong. I now believe them to be original. I still enjoy collecting these aviation badges and continue to add one when I find them.

Lee

Comment

Just yesterday many auctions of these badges have closed on Ebay.it .
                        There were many different types and classes, marked and unmarked aluminium, zink, even the republican and the rarer two pieces variations. Apparently the seller has still some, so it's likely he will put them for sale again.

Another reason why I consider the unmarked aluminium badges period made, is that I have always seen very low quality made copies. These badges are not much sought after and use to be rather cheap on the market. Also, as many types exist, many dies would have been necessary to make a complete serie. And this can be expensive. The copies I have seen were usually made for the most intriguing badges like the Interceptor, Torpedo or bombers, but the aluminium unmarkeds exist of all types. Even rescue and transport !

Comment

Another reason why I consider the unmarked aluminium badges period made, is that I have always seen very low quality made copies. These badges are not much sought after and use to be rather cheap on the market. Also, as many types exist, many dies would have been necessary to make a complete serie. And this can be expensive. The copies I have seen were usually made for the most intriguing badges like the Interceptor, Torpedo or bombers, but the aluminium unmarkeds exist of all types. Even rescue and transport ![/QUOTE]

This makes a lot of sense. I had not thought of it that way.
                          I have always liked these badges for two reasons. First the various designs are interesting and also that these are mission badges and not just qualification badges.
                          A question on the Republican badges. Were they only for missions flown with the Republican air force or did earlier missions during the war also count?
                          Thanks,
                          Lee

Comment

ALL THE BADGES, shown in this thread, marked and unmarked ARE GOOD of the time.
                            It would be interesting that someone would post photos of some fake bought as repo just to compare with the originals..PaoloM

Comment

As far as I can, I don't collect repros, so I have nothing to post belonging to my collection.
                              But copies are frequently offered, usually for what they are, on Ebay or on Wab in general. If allowed by Waf rules I can post them...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X