Italian Airforce Question - 203 Gruppo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Airforce Question - 203 Gruppo

Hi guys, I have a beautiful set of 18 ct gold Italian airforce wings. This are post ww2 as they have a crown over the albatross. The reverse is ingraved: AL S. TEN. NIOLU IL. 203* GRUPPO SETT. 1961
    There is than a halmark for 750. I can't find anything on 203* Gruppo. Is there an aviation geef out there who can help me out with some info?

Greg

Can we see a picture?

I would like to see it. It is unusal to see wings in 18 KT gold like that.

Comment

To avoid crown confusion

On Italian wings, it is not the crown presence that describes post-war. It is the style of crown (both wartime and post-war have crowns) and the lack of fasces.

Tod

Comment

Hi Ted, here are the wings. I've also included what I think are current issue Itatian wings. The current issue set are two piece - the albatros and the crown. The tail and the beak are bent to give a 3-D look to the wings. The 2nd set is the 18 ct gold set. Aside from being larger it is made in 3 pieces, wings, body with shoulders and the crown. It is beautifully made and hand engraved. The crown (now that you mention it) is different. I don't collect airforce stuff but the guy who I picked it up from was going to melt it for the gold. I just couldn't see him doing that to such a fine piece of jewelry so I had to pick it up for the melt value. I hope you can help me out with a date.

Thanks,

Greg
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the reverse. Note the engraving.
          Attached Files

Comment

I confirm post war, royal crown is different from post war republican or "tower" crown as is called. Maybe this wings were a present given to an officer.
            Francesco

Comment

Thanks Francesco, post-war is ok (as I suspected) and probably a presentation item from his graduation? Any ideas as to 203 Gruppo?

Greg

Comment

Hi.
                I'm agree with the other forum fellows.
                This kind of badge have the same drow as the old type of pilot's badge, called 'primigenio' (something like 'early born'), born before the italian air force became an army itself.
                In the past, during the WWI and after (the Regia Aeronautica was born in March, 28 1923), the air crew came from to every branch of the army, and keep the uniform and colours of the branch from they own.
                This kind of eagle saw the light in August, 24, 1916 and was on the sleeve of the aircrew jacket, untill the July, 16 1920, when became in golded metal and flew on the breast of the owners.
                Just few yaers before the WWII, in 1937, was 'restailed', follow the typical fascist mood. The draw was more streight and the wings lost her lovely waved shape.
                After the WWII the draw came back to the old '20 draw, without the fascio littorio and the old monarchic crown became the towered republican one. As your...

Hope this help.

Cheers, Frank
                Last edited by frank savage; 10-12-2007, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Frank Savage big Regia Aeronautica's expert

Frank's opinion on aeronautical stuff is always punctual
                  and complete.
                  If one day we could have an Axis aeronautical stuff forum Frank could be the right man.
                  Cheers Fabio

Originally posted by frank savage View Post
                  Hi.
                  I'm agree with the other forum fellows.
                  This kind of badge have the same drow as the old type of pilot's badge, called 'primigenio' (something like 'early born'), born before the italian air force became an army itself.
                  In the past, during the WWI and after (the Regia Aeronautica was born in March, 28 1923), the air crew came from to every branch of the army, and keep the uniform and colours of the branch from they own.
                  This kind of eagle saw the light in August, 24, 1916 and was on the sleeve of the aircrew jacket, untill the July, 16 1920, when became in golded metal and flew on the breast of the owners.
                  Just few yaers before the WWII, in 1937, was 'restailed', follow the typical fascist mood. The draw was more streight and the wings lost her lovely waved shape.
                  After the WWII the draw came back to the old '20 draw, without the fascio littorio and the old monarchic crown became the towered republican one. As your...

Hope this help.

Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X