FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian made leather Carrier for german shovels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian made leather Carrier for german shovels?

Hello, I posted this item on the Wehrmacht equipment section, but nobody replied.
    Any idea about this one?
    Leather looks italian, but italian shovels have a different shape.
    Maybe made with after September 8th 1943 captured materials for the german army?
    Attached Files

Interesting but no clue . Hope to hear.

Comment

Hmm very interesting item , i would say by its construction a field made item , it seems a italian bayonet frog is added to take a bayonet too !..but yes it would fit a German square ended entrenching tool nicely !..nice find ..

Comment

It was for sale at 22€ all including on Ebay, with the Buy it now option. It doesn't look like a modern made item, so I decided to take it. The price worths to take the risk!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
          It was for sale at 22€ all including on Ebay, with the Buy it now option. It doesn't look like a modern made item, so I decided to take it. The price worths to take the risk!
          Indeed for that megre sum its ' worth a punt '......Bargin my friend ...

Comment

Just got it. The leather looks definitely italian, and the carrier fits perfectly a german shovel. Regarding the in-built frog, I have to use some strenght to insert a german bayonet, while a WW1 austrian M95 bayonet fits with no problems. I don't know if this fact depends just on the age of the leather, that got a bit tough.
            And I don't know about italian bayonets, but I'm rather sure they can be compatible.
            Attached Files

Comment

it looks postwar norwegian made ? They also used greenish leathers in italian style ?
              These rivets remembers me the P38 pouches modification work for the norwegian army postwar .
              Nick

Comment

Thanks for the input, I checked on Web but it seems that norwegian army used US army style shovels after the war:
                http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2018/12/

I think that the first step to identify the country of this carrier should be which one had adopted german style shovels. Not many, I think, like Switzerland (but Swiss Army used a different type of carrier).

Comment

I am thinking this carrier is Finnish. The Finns often used leather items in green or grey-green and they also used Russian and German entrenching tools, which were very similar in construction.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X