• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was the right Call
    WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Thank you. I think the wear on the wool was good. I want to know what awards he would have worn and what does the D on the boards mean? Apparently it means division?

Comment

The loops on the jacket suggest to me a 4 ? place ribbon bar above the left chest pocket, and then (from left to right) a Panzer assault badge, Iron Cross class 1 and a wound badge on the pocket.

Comment

Thank you, so the guy clearly had seen some action? It’s very interesting. Anyways I’m guessing this is a good tunic as antique agrees? I’m sure the eagle has been restored but does everything else look good as original and not restored? Thanks.

Comment

Yeah mate, if I'm right, that's a splendid set of medals.
            Uniforms is not an area that I'm particularly well schooled so I'll leave it up to others to make a judgement as to this jackets authenticity. I will say however that if it is given the thumbs up on here that is another lovely tunic that you have found.

Comment

Alright, thank you very much.

Comment

The Gothic "D" refers to assignment to Division staff.
                The division number is usually affixed below the "D".
                I'd have doubts that they are original wartime placement.

Comment

Originally posted by longislandercjv View Post
                  The Gothic "D" refers to assignment to Division staff.
                  The division number is usually affixed below the "D".
                  I'd have doubts that they are original wartime placement.
                  I agree with Chris in that the D should be accompanied by the division #, and I also believe they are post-war applied. They just don't look like they're "sunk" in the plaiting like they've been there for 70+ years.

Nice tunic nonetheless!

vr

Bob

Comment

Placed too low on the board for a number. If they were original to the boards, that would be one sexy tunic.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you guys, would it be wise to remove the D off the boards or would it ruin them more than with it still kept in?

Comment

Originally posted by Britian_Jacky View Post
                        Hello,

Thank you guys, would it be wise to remove the D off the boards or would it ruin them more than with it still kept in?
                        So the problem is that nobody can say for sure when they were put on. They don't look like they've been there for years and are "out of config" for how they should be displayed (no number and too close to the shoulder as pointed out by Tom).

If this was my tunic and it came from a collector I would assume at some point the "D"s were added and would probably remove them. As they don't look like they are smashed into the board you may be lucky and not have any impression in the plaiting. Then you have a basic M-36 for an unattributed Panzer Leutnant and do not contribute to the plethora of embellished uniforms out there. I would also reposition that eagle so it sits where it's supposed to - just above the pocket flap.

If you can't resist the desire to dress the boards up you can replace them with the "P" for Panzerjäger, "A" for Aufklärung, or "K" for Kradschütze but they still may sit a little too low. Although each of those was meant to be accompanied by the unit # as well, there is plenty of photographic evidence to show that wasn't always done.

This is a tough one mate. If you do remove them there are ways to repair the boards so it looks like there was never anything on them, tops and bottoms. If you go that route send me a PM and I'll walk you through how to do it.

Good luck with your decision and best regards!

Bob

Comment

Thank you very much waffen, I’ll keep that in mind. It’s good to hear some advice.

Comment

Why he should start to play Tailor with that Tunic? Nothing wrong with the Eagle, Boards are fine. There is no "supposed to be place" for an Eagle. As long as there are no shadow from where the Eagle was in the first place, he sit just fine. And if the D was there from start or not, noone can say for sure. Why to start replace with something what never was there, make not much sense. It is fine as it is, will look great on Display. Leave it as is and be happy with it

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                            So the problem is that nobody can say for sure when they were put on. They don't look like they've been there for years and are "out of config" for how they should be displayed (no number and too close to the shoulder as pointed out by Tom).

If this was my tunic and it came from a collector I would assume at some point the "D"s were added and would probably remove them. As they don't look like they are smashed into the board you may be lucky and not have any impression in the plaiting. Then you have a basic M-36 for an unattributed Panzer Leutnant and do not contribute to the plethora of embellished uniforms out there. I would also reposition that eagle so it sits where it's supposed to - just above the pocket flap.

If you can't resist the desire to dress the boards up you can replace them with the "P" for Panzerjäger, "A" for Aufklärung, or "K" for Kradschütze but they still may sit a little too low. Although each of those was meant to be accompanied by the unit # as well, there is plenty of photographic evidence to show that wasn't always done.

This is a tough one mate. If you do remove them there are ways to repair the boards so it looks like there was never anything on them, tops and bottoms. If you go that route send me a PM and I'll walk you through how to do it.

Good luck with your decision and best regards!

Bob
                            WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X