X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very rare picture of Policeman wearing a soutached M40 cap

Jody posted this very rare picture on the Police forum;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...20#post8533620

I wonder if the soutache and piping on the shoulder straps is Orange, the rarest of all waffenfarbe colours for a tropical M40 cap and tropical shoulder straps ?

The leather belt still being worn is also interesting. Is it brown or black ? I wonder where the photo was taken ? Afrika ? Italy ? Greece ? Balkans ?

Chris
    Last edited by 90th Light; 09-15-2019, 04:38 PM.

The belt is interesting in more ways than one. Having studied many photos of the Italian campaign 1943-45, it is rare to see the tropical web belt or high tropical boots being worn.

The tropical uniform when worn in Italy from 1943 onward seemed to consist of the tropical cap, tropical tunic and tropical trousers worn with the continental leather belt and leather boots.

Now we can not see his boots but it would be interesting to know where and when this photo was taken ?

There were a high number of Police and SS Police units fighting Partisans in the north of Italy and the Balkan countries bordering onto both Italy, Austria and Greece,

Chris

Comment

It does look like an orange colored soutache, from the B&W photo
      Agree the belt & buckle point to Italy or the Balkans.

Thanks for the link, very interesting Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
        It does look like an orange colored soutache, from the B&W photo
        Agree the belt & buckle point to Italy or the Balkans.

Thanks for the link, very interesting Chris
        Thanks Tim,

I wonder if any tropical M40 caps still exist with the original Orange soutache factory sewn to the cap ?

I do not know of any. I know of examples that have had an Orange soutache added to them postwar but no originals with the original Orange soutache still in place or even remains of the Orange soutache still showing.

And original Orange piped tropical shoulder straps are as rare as too.

Holy grail of German WW2 tropical uniform collecting,

Chris
        Last edited by 90th Light; 09-15-2019, 10:22 PM.

Comment

In the mid-1980's I was able to inspect an M-40 with obvious remains of a removed orange soutache. No idea where the cap is today, but it was in a "quiet" collection. Several pairs of orange-piped tropical straps are around including a bleached out pair with wool piping I have.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
            In the mid-1980's I was able to inspect an M-40 with obvious remains of a removed orange soutache. No idea where the cap is today, but it was in a "quiet" collection. Several pairs of orange-piped tropical straps are around including a bleached out pair with wool piping I have.
            I wonder if it is something rarely encountered only in the USA ?

I can not think of anyone in New Zealand, Australia or South Africa who has an Orange soutached tropical cap or Orange piped tropical straps that are beyond doubt originals.

Any examples I have heard of in Great Britain are questionable.

May be some reading this thread will post their examples,

Chris
            Last edited by 90th Light; 09-16-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo of a M40 with an orange soutache from another sleeping collection.
              Opinions are about 50/50 on this cap, all from this only photo shown years ago.
              It really comes down to whether you except this type of cockade ? Some do, many don't.
              Attached Files

Comment

orange-piped DAK straps

Here are three pairs in red- orange- pink and more images of the orange pair. The only background on these is that they were out of a house clearance in Nuernberg.
                Attached Files

Comment

All three DAK sets are stunning. The orange piped straps are real keepers
                  Thanks for showing them.

In case anyone is curious the M40 with an orange soutache is either a LAGO, CW, or a Statter Gebrüder.
                  Leaning towards CW. Perhaps someday we will see more...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X