Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captured tunic opinions

Hi guys,

Posting this for a friend. This tunic came from a large grouping to an American soldier in the 88th infantry division. The unit saw combat in Italy and was also tasked with guarding POWS there. To me this looks like a modified M42 or M43 EM service tunic with an added green collar and shortened skirt. The top button hole has also been sewn shut, presumably so the collar can be worn open? Bizarrely, from the photos I’ve seen there are no traces of insignia, but this may just be due to poor photos. What do you guys think? If it’s real would it be Army? No idea if the belt actually goes with this tunic but it was in the same
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lenny W; 03-26-2020, 07:18 AM. Reason: Outside image hosting

A bit modified but still nice original M43 jacket. The open collar top make sense in Italy ( all tropical jackets have open collar ).

Comment

WSS type markings 108+no date+no WH depot stamped on the opposite side , like on a M44 jacket ?
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
        WSS type markings 108+no date+no WH depot stamped on the opposite side , like on a M44 jacket ?
        Nick
        My first thought was same when I saw the markings (as well, as it has a typical look of wss jacket - short lenght of main part and loner sleeves - offcourse it was shortened and not factory made as such), but it has 3 holes instead of 2 for belt hooks and typical construction of liner of army jacket. So maybe made for army by the company which make wss jackets as well ( and had used the same style markings ).

Regarding the collar; looks like collar in original, bas jacket, color is still there as dark green cloth is only sewn over it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! Maybe I’ll post a link in the SS uniforms section as well...

Comment

I don't see any SS Tunic here. Standart Heer what was modified and shorten. Take a Picture from the Place where normal the Eagle would be, i bet you will find some traces there.
            WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post
              I don't see any SS Tunic here. Standart Heer what was modified and shorten. Take a Picture from the Place where normal the Eagle would be, i bet you will find some traces there.
              That's what I say,any markings on the bandage pocket ? Not show in the previous pictures
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post
                I didn't say we see a WSS jacket ?
                I just noticed the unusual markings ?
                Nick

Comment

Standard Heer M-43 with a modified collar and raised hem.

My gut feeling is that the depot/date were stamped on the button hole and have just worn away from finger contact. Just my thoughts

vr

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X