BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depot queen or wartime used Attic Queen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And i need to try to not always be too Rambo with everyone

From the 120 Letters and Documents in that Group what will be published next year, this one here has the most Value to me, more then the KC or any other Item in that Group. It was written the Day when he died in Fieldhospital in Russia, after getting a Bullet in the back and one in the Stomach. The Day before this, he wrote a Letter to his Mom, she got it together with this one. Written by a Friend in his Unit who was there when he died. Things like this should be published that others can read it and see how it really was back then......

Servus

Robert

Originally posted by Albert View Post
    Thank You!

And thank you for turning stories into history!

Your way to collect is, in my opinion, the best, but not everyone is in the same lucky position in terms of access to German vets, their families, and their estates. In fact, only very few are. So, one has to be understanding I guess that others who have the same passion are in a different situation. Still, some people collect things, and in ways, that make me scratch my head, but I let them be the judge;-)

Again, I do agree that a great grouping from a neighboring village with a story, or sometime none, is the most rewarding way to collect. at least that I have experienced. I definitely see that the same way as you!

Servus!
    Albert
    Attached Files
    WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

I collect because I like to experience the history.....the fact that my money was once mine and now it's history.

Nice ones Albert. I love the M40 NCO.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post
        ... will be published next year, ...

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post
        ... this one here has the most Value to me, more then the KC or any other Item in that Group. It was written the Day when he died in Fieldhospital in Russia, after getting a Bullet in the back and one in the Stomach. The Day before this, he wrote a Letter to his Mom, she got it together with this one. Written by a Friend in his Unit who was there when he died. Things like this should be published ...
        Absolutely! Another sobering reminder of what is behind the things we collect U.S., German, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Crusader17 View Post
          I collect because I like to experience the history.....the fact that my money was once mine and now it's history.

Agree with both statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusader17 View Post
            M41, sorry. Even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyds View Post
              Combat worn is probably the most over used description on this forum to discribe a sexed up worn out rodent damage and bad storage But really how can anyone prove this statement of combat worn

+1

I wonder how many tunics out there that exhibit a lot of wear are actually "combat worn" as opposed to postwar abused or used for civilian wear and then rebadged later. I would venture that most of the actual heavily worn/damaged tunics never made it much past May 1945.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                +1

I wonder how many tunics out there that exhibit a lot of wear are actually "combat worn" as opposed to postwar abused or used for civilian wear and then rebadged later. I would venture that most of the actual heavily worn/damaged tunics never made it much past May 1945.

Don
                That depends how they are found, but they are rare to find. Usually when i get the chance to buy them of familys i get "why are you buying this relic? " from collector friends

These are basically wartime worn out...still, they are not what many collectors seek. I myself love them (i do have depotqueens to like the one in my first post))

I agree that many are restoring motheaten and dmg walking out tunics and call them combat worn, but the question was what we really prefer.
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice jackets, Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
                    the question was what we really prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                      Very nice jackets, Daniel.
                      Thanks!

More to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                        What really does not work is, creating one's own reality (which in itself is ok, we all do that), then mating it with an "either-or" mentality (which to a certain degree is also ok, we all do it occasionally), but then confronting everyone else with it as if it was the ultimate truth... That does not work...

What is history? One could argue it is a great alibi for a lot of people to justify a lot of things (figuratively and literally), and collecting is one of them. It also gets confused with "story". Unless you write books about the great stories you must have heard and the great pieces you surely own... you do not really have history... just a number of stories you, and possibly only you, have heard and can connect to some items in you collection by the thin thread of one man's memory... What's going to happen when you, and all of us here, are gone, then, according to your own logic, all those things you have will suddenly become non-history, because all the stories and memories have seized to exist as well.

Turn this around, there is a great guy on this forum who does not collect! However, he has contributed a great deal to the hobby in general, to this forum in particular, and especially to the study of the RK!!! Now that is history;-) and he doesn't even own an RK, neither an anonymous nor an attributed one. Only for history preservation, it would arguably be perfectly sufficient to have a couple of representative specimen and books/ files. VoilĂ , history preserved...

Please don't get me wrong, you contribute a lot of good things, see the Oak discussion. Great contribution! It's not so much the content, it's your style that rubs some people the wrong way. Of course nobody in his right mind would disagree with you that the best scenario is to have an attributed piece with a story! But! ... there are so many ways to look at one and the same thing, and even more with different things. And of course is collecting coins and other stuff comparable to collecting awards, and other stuff;-)

Anyway, sorry if this came unsolicited, haven't written so much on the forum in years. Here is my contribution to the topic, a true field worn jacket (one of very few I ever had, alas no story...) and an almost unworn one. Love them both.
                        Hi Albert,

Long time no talk; sincerely hope all is well!

Great contribution, and exactly what I was trying to communicate.

J-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X