Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erkennungsmarke with questions..

Hi All,

I have this erkennungsmarke and in so far I believe that the ID plate in itself is original, but what about the two appendicis..?..what are they..?..and are they original..?..

Thanks in advance,

Hans Kristian
    Attached Files

I have seen cases where additional items were added to the Erkennungsmarke cord. These appear to be a religious medal and a British tank badge.

Comment

Thanks OSS, yes the religious badge makes maybe sense as a lot of priests etc choose to be medics instead of regular soldiers.
      But the tank badge is confusing, somehow it does not make sense...

Comment

My apologies, the tankers badge is South African in origin. I suspect this medic served in N. Africa and this is a souvenir perhaps with some personal significance.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
          My apologies, the tankers badge is South African in origin. I suspect this medic served in N. Africa and this is a souvenir perhaps with some personal significance.
          Thanks OSS, seems definitely to be the same award just solid.

I was told, when I bought the little group, that they came from a Priest who was in Afrika - maybe true, but at the moment I did not really believe it as there was no evidence, no name, nothing.

Hans Kristian

Comment

A cleric serving as a medic makes good sense. One can only imagine that there might have been an encounter between the medic and perhaps a wounded opponent he treated and the badge was a poignant reminder of the moment.

Comment

That medic could have been clergy, but not necessarily. I think even more likely he was a religious layperson who wore the medallion as "divine protection" - like a good luck charm. A lot of soldiers carried small religious tokens or even a pocket bible into battle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X