Gebirgsjager Shoulder Straps & collar tab set for Authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

On the subject of the criss-cross stitching on the back, this is a pair of what I believe are unquestionably original officer's tabs with that kind of sewing. It is not a commonly seen thing, but it was used back in the day. Another interesting feature of these collar tabs is the saw-tooth effect along the edges. It is not commonly seen, but is an original quirk of tailor-made pieces from the period.

As for that dealer, you need to know about what you are buying.

They stock a mix of original and non-original items. It is best to post items you are interested in and see what people here say about them, because (1) it will save you from buying fakes, and (2) it will teach you about what to look for in the items you like (and what to avoid!).

All the best,

Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_K View Post
      Hi,

On the subject of the criss-cross stitching on the back, this is a pair of what I believe are unquestionably original officer's tabs with that kind of sewing. It is not a commonly seen thing, but it was used back in the day. Another interesting feature of these collar tabs is the saw-tooth effect along the edges. It is not commonly seen, but is an original quirk of tailor-made pieces from the period.

They stock a mix of original and non-original items. It is best to post items you are interested in and see what people here say about them, because (1) it will save you from buying fakes, and (2) it will teach you about what to look for in the items you like (and what to avoid!).

All the best,

Mark
      Mark,

That is clutch, great photo and explanation. Have added these pictures as a reference on my laptop. You are absolutely correct regarding posting items here first. It just saved me two otherwise terrible lessons. I was much happier to learn a priori in this case than post facto!!

Comment

Originally posted by Schulterklappen View Post
        Look at post #118in this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...lingrad&page=8

This Foto is also in Mike Pruett and Bob Edwards' "Field Uniforms of the German Army Panzer Forces in World War 2". From the picture caption on page 162, "Note that, mountain infantry light green branch is worn on the color tabs and shoulder boards while, the visor cap has the correct meadow green branch color for Panzergrenadiere. When asked why he wore insignia piped with light green, he commented there was no other insignia available to him at the time!"

He is a great example of reality vs. regulation.
        That is an excellent reference to a tangible historical artifact. It is hard to believe that even as rigid of an organization as the Wehrmacht would not have had irregularities or expediencies especially considering the shortages it faced. Overcoming adversity is a hallmark of any military organization and its success in doing so is an indicator of its prowess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowietx View Post
          That is an excellent reference to a tangible historical artifact. It is hard to believe that even as rigid of an organization as the Wehrmacht would not have had irregularities or expediencies especially considering the shortages it faced. Overcoming adversity is a hallmark of any military organization and its success in doing so is an indicator of its prowess.
          Actually, there is a whole thread dedicated to weird combinations of insignia and items in original photographs called "Uniforms I Would Not Buy", because if many of the pieces came onto the market now, people would say they were sloppy fakes!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=398061

Personally, I believe that while a lot of the petty regulations might have been more policed/enforced before the war, there were more important things to focus on once it began.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_K View Post
            Hi,

All the best,

Mark
            Forgot to mention this aspect of this dealer. You really need to know your subject matter before purchasing from Regt. Quite the minefield that site. Loaded with messed with items and outright fakes. Any straps/boards with cyphers from them would have to be very carefully considered imo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X