Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjager Shoulder Straps & collar tab set for Authentication

All,

Found these on a site that I have not been to before. Pictures are reserved by the site, so have to post the link only. Are these ok? The string on the back of the collar tab with a crosshatched pattern is new to me. Although I am too new to this game to have seen a lot. Thank you in advance!!

http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewphoto.php?x=0

And again, the Pictures. Dont touch them.
    Attached Files
    WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Imo

Without close-up detailed images it is difficult to judge these exactly. Based on what I see I would recommend waiting for better insignia, not a mismatched pair of collar tabs.

Comment

1+

Originally posted by pauke View Post
        Without close-up detailed images it is difficult to judge these exactly. Based on what I see I would recommend waiting for better insignia, not a mismatched pair of collar tabs.
        WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Mismatched Schupo tabs at that.

Comment

Thank you for the input on the differential in color between the two. It is an obvious difference in hue now that you drew my attention to it. Also can see the difference in the stitching in the centers of the collar tabs.

Is the cross stitching on the back of the collar tab is the string that is criss crossed across the back of the tab on the left a correct element of collar tabs? I have not seen this before.

Disturbingly, I posted two different random items from this seller and both are bad. Looked at old posts and saw that many have had positive experiences. Is my experience coincidental or a recent example of a known problem?

Comment

I would say the cross stitching on the back of the one collar tab is not at all common, and to the extent it is done on this one is absurd IMO. Don't think anyone one has stated these insignia are reproductions, but, rather, the images are simply way too bad to judge the details that need observing.

Comment

That is a good insight that I appreciate having on the weird stitching on the back. In synopsis for other new collectors, I believe the following to be true after considering the description below:

Description on website:

A good set of insignia for the specific piped field service tunic for a mountain troop Oberleutnant. Stitch-in pair of shoulder boards, mountain green backing cloth, all the gilt remaining to the regimental numbers of 98 and the single rank pip to each board with its matching bullion embroidered collar patches with the matching mountain green background to the shoulder boards. Some slight age foxing to one of the collar patches. No moth damage

1. It is not a matched set, which the website does not claim, but potentially implies.

2. Collar tabs are not matching to each other let alone the shoulder straps and are not for a gebirsjager

While potentially still period pieces, the description for these is, according to the comments so far, not correct. New collectors like myself, are to an extent, trusting of those who have been in the business for a while. The person who has this website has a series of YOUTUBE videos that are meant to connect with a younger viewership. Two items that I randomly posted and with which I had interest, have been found wanting. I will stop short as well of making accusations against the dealer which may be unfounded as all are entitled to a mistake, but I am moving on with my business. Appreciate the comments here from all and have as always taken away a good lesson.

What I would leave for this site and its membership, is that those who post reasons for an item's being bad are the most helpful to young/new collectors. There are several members here who have been immensely helpful. I have read countless posts here about a lack of interest from a younger audience. Those who take the time to address questions and provide knowledge are those who do the most credit to the future of this field. Thank you to all who have commented, it is helpful and never for naught, I keep these threads and comments for future use. The books are lacking when it comes to identifying fakes, I have learned a lot more through interaction here and at shows.

Comment

Mountain Troop?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not according to post #9 in this thread if I understand it correctly:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=78339&page=9

Also found some posts on the little being embroidered together, length of little and piping around the outside of the tab. Also have seen several posts about the 50 shades of green. Would love to learn more about these topics if there is more data available.

Comment

Order of Battle

Another component in collecting cyphered boards and straps is studying the Heer order of battle.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...ter/Inhalt.htm

Comment

Schulterklappen,

Absolutely, I appreciate the links!! I did find the 98 Gebirgsjaeger Regiment and it lent false hope regarding the authenticity of this particular set, but did give me a better knowledge base and some confirmation of the unit's existence. Also have a few books like Black Edelweiss, Gebirgsjäger: German Mountain Trooper 1939–45 and Weapons and Equipment of the German Mountain Troops in World War II.

In my previous post, auto spelling correct, turned "litze" into "little". That said I tried to find a good rendition of what the litze should look like and found a post, but don't know that I follow what was being discussed enough to feel confident in it. Is there any additional data on this subject?

Also was interested in the 50 shades of green commentary. Thank you again for the references!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowietx View Post
                          Schulterklappen,

Also was interested in the 50 shades of green commentary. Thank you again for the references!!
                          Welcome to the Forum, this thread will answer the 50 shades of green question...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=Reseda+green

A great thread that should be pinned

Anyone can add cyphers to a board or strap post war and bingo a historical unit is created.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                            Welcome to the Forum, this thread will answer the 50 shades of green question...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=Reseda+green

A great thread that should be pinned

Anyone can add cyphers to a board or strap post war and bingo a historical unit is created.

Sir,

This is an excellent thread with substance and specificity. Exactly the type of depth ofthis topic that was being sought!! Many of the discussions o this forum are good, but are trivial in nature and seem to express ideas as feelings regarding an item rather than evidence, as another member pointed out to me. That said, Malcolm Gladwell in his book, Blink, asserted that an immediate impression can be formed that is correct, but which may take much longer to articulate or even understand for the person providing it. For this reason I don't dismiss basic impressions out of hand, but value in-depth responses much more. Yours is greatly appreciated!! Thank you again and I would love to see any additional references or threads that may be of use.

Comment

Herbert Düppenbecker

Originally posted by Bowietx View Post
                              Schulterklappen,

Absolutely, I appreciate the links!! I did find the 98 Gebirgsjaeger Regiment and it lent false hope regarding the authenticity of this particular set, but did give me a better knowledge base and some confirmation of the unit's existence. Also have a few books like Black Edelweiss, Gebirgsjäger: German Mountain Trooper 1939–45 and Weapons and Equipment of the German Mountain Troops in World War II.

In my previous post, auto spelling correct, turned "litze" into "little". That said I tried to find a good rendition of what the litze should look like and found a post, but don't know that I follow what was being discussed enough to feel confident in it. Is there any additional data on this subject?

Look at post #118in this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...lingrad&page=8

This Foto is also in Mike Pruett and Bob Edwards' "Field Uniforms of the German Army Panzer Forces in World War 2". From the picture caption on page 162, "Note that, mountain infantry light green branch is worn on the color tabs and shoulder boards while, the visor cap has the correct meadow green branch color for Panzergrenadiere. When asked why he wore insignia piped with light green, he commented there was no other insignia available to him at the time!"

He is a great example of reality vs. regulation.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X