Panzer Propaganda Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Propaganda Company

A portrait photograph of Unteroffizier Karl Zworner, a cameraman with 2 Company, 435 Corps Signals Battalion, XXXV Army Corps, 693 Panzer Propaganda Company, 2 Panzer Army.
    It appears the piping on his cap is a different colour to that on the collar patches. Could this just be different shades of the same colour yellow, pink or grey. Or a combination of different waffenfaben?
    Signals would wear yellow piping on the collar patches, but would Propaganda Company wear grey on the panzer collars?

I would welcome the opinions of the forum, and thank you for looking

Keith
    Attached Files

You can have a combination of Waffenfarbe for example .
    I do have a Pz Medic Wrapper directly from the family , with dark blue piped
    OFF shoulder boards and pink collar patches .Worn with a dark blue piped cap .
    In your case i would say lemon yellow on the Wrapper as the guy belongs to a
    Signal battalion ? And a grey piped cap .
    Nick

Comment

Propaganda units initialy wore lemon yellow;
      The gray Waffenfarbe was introduced in January of 1943.
      No date is given for the photo, but I'd speculate it's before that date,
      and, hence, piping on the skull tabs is lemon yellow.

Comment

Propaganda

There is an interesting chapter in this book on such units:

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Uniform.../dp/0921991150

The officer shown there is thought to be Heinz Heydrich brother of Reinhard Heydrich and truly an interesting story and contrast in personalities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Heydrich

In this search, you will see him as a Sonderfuehrer and wearing a black wrapper.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ch&FORM=HDRSC2

Forgive me if I went off on a tangent concerning your thread. That is a splendid Foto that you posted.

Comment

Interesting for a cameraman to be wearing a Pz shooting lanyard. Wonder what the story behind that is.

Al

Comment

In addition to the Marksmanship lanyard Zworner was awarded the Ostmedaille (18 Aug. 1942), Infantry Assault badge in silver (3 Apr. 1944), Wound badge in black (20 Apr. 1943), War Merit Cross 2cl. with Swords (30 Jan. 1945).

The awards show that, although he was a member of a non-combat arm, he had been involved in front line combat. I believe the award of Infantry Assault badges became more frequent to members of non-combat units in the latter stages of the war as the fighting in general became more intense and the need to fill gaps left by the increasing shortage of combat soldiers.

Keith
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X