Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First patern DAK tunic opinions needed

Hello guys,

Could you share with me your opinion on this DAK jacket. It's clearly modified for officer. Traces of a bevo eagle that's removed are there, aswel as a chevron that has been removed. I just thought the markings looked odd. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Sander,

Call me paranoid, but from these pics there is something about this tunic that bothers me. One thing I would definitely expect to see is a different color thread in the button hole at the top. These tunics were designed with 5 buttons at the front so the sixth one that's added there (which makes no sense to wear that closed) would have been done after the tunic was provided to the depot and acquired by the officer. The chances of the thread color and gauge being the same are pretty slim.

Also, I agree - the numbers look funky.

Hey, at least it has a machine sewn eagle that I know you like so much

Best regards!

Bob

Comment

Original modified jacket .
        Funky markings but why not ?
        Nick

Comment

Original modified early tunic.
          I'd expect more wear but that comes down to it's service history.
          As for zig-zag re-sewn eagle - I have no issues with that as I have one too which I believe to be a period addition.
          My reservation is that I can still clearly see the old one's sewing holes which I would have expected to have closed up with movement over time....
          In fact - the more I look at it, the more it looks fairly well near un-issued. I can just see where the chevron was - clearly it wasn't worn much before conversion.

Mark
          NZ
          Last edited by NZMark; 03-06-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

That is a cool set up. Officer probably had it tailor converted for temperate weather conditions (Sudfront) and perhaps got transferred elsewhere and it hardly got used...
            It is plausible! (closet survivor)

Comment

Code:
               That is a cool set up. Officer probably had it tailor converted for temperate weather conditions (Sudfront) and perhaps got transferred elsewhere and it hardly got used...
              It is plausible! (closet survivor)

Good point Nick, alternative possibilities are gave it to a tailor for alterations but was killed or war ended and hence were it stayed. Would explain why it’s in such good condition

I knew of a German collector who was 14 at the war end and he would go around collecting uniforms from tailor shops after the war, ended up with an amazing collection.

Msteve

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                Sander,

Call me paranoid, but from these pics there is something about this tunic that bothers me. One thing I would definitely expect to see is a different color thread in the button hole at the top. These tunics were designed with 5 buttons at the front so the sixth one that's added there (which makes no sense to wear that closed) would have been done after the tunic was provided to the depot and acquired by the officer. The chances of the thread color and gauge being the same are pretty slim.

Also, I agree - the numbers look funky.

Hey, at least it has a machine sewn eagle that I know you like so much

Best regards!

Bob
                Hello Bob,

Thanks for your opinion, I did not notice it but indeed, the 6th button hole on top is totaly diffirent then the others.

Thanks all for your opinions, glad it is prooved to be good. I'll be listing it for sale soon

sigpic

Comment

Would pass on this jacket. It is an original but too many questions for me.
                  Eagle is in the Afrika location but this jacket was not to be worn there with the 6th added button ? Had a chevron but is now an officer upgrade ? Was it breifly worn as an EM or an officers jacket ? The bridles appear very loose and just don't get the vibes from this piece. When was it converted is anybody's guess...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X