metz 1944 Cuff title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metz 1944 Cuff title

Here is a named staff officers tunic with Metz 1944 cuff title original to tunic.

Am trying to research this officer at this time.

Originally posted by odiestreasures
    Here is a named staff officers tunic with Metz 1944 cuff title original to tunic.

Is it possible to get some detailed shots of the CT?Regards Jim

Comment

you can put better photos of Cuff title .it is first mettz 1994 Cuff title that I see in tunic.you have watched seams well, I suppose.
      greetings

Comment

Any chance at some info on the length of this CT I.e Does it reach all the way around the sleeve?

plus some better close up pics would be helpful

Cheers, Rik

Comment

Hi all

The cuffband goes all the way around. Will tke some closeups and get them on as soon as possible.

Odell

Comment

cuff band photos

Hi all

The cuffband goes all the way around. Will tke some closeups and get them on as soon as possible.

Odell
            Here are the close ups of the cuff band that you requested.

Comment

Terribly small picture, but from this perspective, the cufftitle exhibits original features. Is it hand sewn on?
              CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott
                You should be able to clink on photo and it will enlarge. Yes, its hand sewn.
                This is the uniform I told you about. Was picked up in germany in late 40s or early 50s . I'm the second owner other than the officer it belonged to.

Regards
                Odell

Comment

Odell:
                  Son of a gun...they do enlarge. Thanks. I still think it looks like an original from the perspective of these pictures.

I would think that if you have the name, rank and the unit (looks like 88. Infanterie Regt.?) that's a pretty good start at research.

The 88th was part of the 15. Infanterie Division, which was primarily an Eastern Front outfit I think and I believe was destroyed in Russia. Given that the defense of Metz was such a hodge-podge of units, if this cufftitle is in fact original to the tunic (I would prefer to see things hand sewn so that's a plus in my book), the guy could have been either transfered out of the 15. Infanetrie and resident at Metz for any number of reasons (convalescing or assigned to the school staff, for example) or later assigned to the 15. Infanerie after leaving Metz. It is possible he did not even fight at Metz, as the evidence shows the cufftitle was also an honorary bestowment on the school cadre - and the school moved during or right after the battle to reestablish itself in a "safer" location.

I may be reading the numbers on the majors boards wrong, but regardless of the correct regiment (and this could also have been some kind of fortress unit with white piping), the general outline above is plausible for any number of individuals who may have been associated with Metz, the Metz battle or the Officer and NCO Candidate School.

My only other observation at this point is that the cufftitle's wear and tear appear more pristine than the soiling evident on the uniform. Again, this may be explained by the fact that the cufftitle came so late in the war and the example on this uniform is just neither as old or as battle worn as the officer's uniform was. Hard to say...you have the best perspective on that since you have the uniform in hand.
                  CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott

Thanks for email. The numbers on the boards are 18. This was his unit in WW1 and he recieved permission to were the numbers on his current uniform.
                    I have quite a bit of info on him up to 1935-36. I know he was a 1St Lt at end of WW1 and came back in 1936 as a capitan. Can't recall his unit at that time but I have info at home.
                    I know one of the papers has him listed as an instructer at an officers canidate school.
                    I have his home address and alot of other stuff up to 1936,have almost his complete WW1 service record.
                    What I'm really needing are decorations and awards for 1936-45 and units he was assiged to during that time. Also he was seriosly wounded at end of war and blinded.
                    Do you think you might be able to help out with info I need?? I've been hitting brick walls .
                    This guy joined up in 1914,was wounded several times and came out as an officer. Then he stayed in reserves until called back in .
                    Let me know if you need anything else,I may have it. His name was LT.COL Karl Schmuck.

Regards
                    Odell

Scott
                    Originally posted by ScottPritchett
                    Odell:
                    Son of a gun...they do enlarge. Thanks. I still think it looks like an original from the perspective of these pictures.

I would think that if you have the name, rank and the unit (looks like 88. Infanterie Regt.?) that's a pretty good start at research.

The 88th was part of the 15. Infanterie Division, which was primarily an Eastern Front outfit I think and I believe was destroyed in Russia. Given that the defense of Metz was such a hodge-podge of units, if this cufftitle is in fact original to the tunic (I would prefer to see things hand sewn so that's a plus in my book), the guy could have been either transfered out of the 15. Infanetrie and resident at Metz for any number of reasons (convalescing or assigned to the school staff, for example) or later assigned to the 15. Infanerie after leaving Metz. It is possible he did not even fight at Metz, as the evidence shows the cufftitle was also an honorary bestowment on the school cadre - and the school moved during or right after the battle to reestablish itself in a "safer" location.

I may be reading the numbers on the majors boards wrong, but regardless of the correct regiment (and this could also have been some kind of fortress unit with white piping), the general outline above is plausible for any number of individuals who may have been associated with Metz, the Metz battle or the Officer and NCO Candidate School.

My only other observation at this point is that the cufftitle's wear and tear appear more pristine than the soiling evident on the uniform. Again, this may be explained by the fact that the cufftitle came so late in the war and the example on this uniform is just neither as old or as battle worn as the officer's uniform was. Hard to say...you have the best perspective on that since you have the uniform in hand.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X