camo patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camo patterns

Would you say these are the same patterns?
    Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Hi Ralph, yes, they are both green splinter pattern, as used on Zeltbahns and Camo clothing.
    The FJ smock used this basic pattern, but with a bit smaller print than the Heer version of this camo.
    Hope this helps?
    Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks.

Just beating a dead horse!
      Attached Files
      -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

I thought I recognised the pen in the pocket!!!!!!!

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks Ian. This is the camo cover in my "Heer Helmet Cover" thread. Consensus seems to be that it is, shall we say,"post-war". It appears, however, to have been manufactured from period fabric.
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Ok, I am confused! Yes, both are Heer splinter. The issue on the cover was that is not a normal Heer reversible to white WWII issue cover. The issue, as I recall it, was never whether the fabric was original. Even now, there is not real convincing reproduction splinter fabric being made. After the war there was a tremdous amount of double sided Zeltbahn camo fabric around. Easy to tell by the fact the one side is the "dry" camo side and the other is "wet" camo. Lighter and darker.......

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi

I trust your expertise on these matters. Just having a little fun!
              -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Hi Ralph,

To echo something that Willi has said; authentic material does not imply the piece is authentic. In the early 1980's a dealer in Germany sent me many jump smocks (which he submitted as authentic) that were reproductions and were made from WW II zeltbahns; the wrong pattern for Luftwaffe camo. These were excellent copies and the pattern accurate. They were not "field made" period pieces as some asserted; they had post war zippers and snaps, and absurd markings. One was even made from an extremely rare brown splinter zeltbahn; somebody destroyed a rare piece to make a repro jump smock.......

Best,
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks again

I'm with you guys on this. As an "expert" in fabrics, I know it is not new stuff. Someone must have sewn a cover from it later.
                  -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Fun is authorized.....

On the cover issue, a friend of mine found a textbook Heer splinter to white helmet cover at the Max. Had a good look at it.....looked good! But, I also heard a rumor that some really accurate repros are coming out of Europe. I wonder how good they are. I usually don't follow non-FJ helmet covers, but have always liked the Heer ones.

Willi
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X