3 Panzer Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Panzer Boards

The third board is for an Oberleutnant (1st Lieutenant) from a panzerjager unit. I would imagine this board, with its subdued color, amount of wear and toning, was worn on a combat tunic. Time and insects have not been kind to the underside. It is also from Chris V.

Please feel free to comment. I am relatively new to collecting shoulder straps/boards and have a lot to learn. I primarily collect panzer and panzer related straps and boards. I am currently looking for a panzer NCO strap, with black top. If anyone has one they would sell please send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Attached Files

pz boards

The second board is for a full Colonel (Oberst) from Panzer Regiment #2 of the 16th Panzer Division. It features the older, first style type of number. It is made with the bright Russian braid material and probably intended for use on a dress/parade style uniform. An advanced collector told me that he has a similar board and that the prongs on the pip that would sit closest to the shoulder were also trimmed down on his to prevent it from pressing into that area. It is my understanding that a full colonel could either be the actual commander of Panzer Regiment #2, or on the General Staff of the 16th Panzer Division. The division fought in Russia and was basically destroyed at Stalingrad. It was reformed in March 1943 with new recruits and the few units that had not been trapped in Stalingrad. I wonder if the officer did not use this board on a uniform because he never returned from Stalingrad.
    Attached Files

Comment

pz boards

Hello,
      Over the summer, I acquired three panzer boards that I thought I would post.

The first one is for a Lieutenant from Panzer Regiment #4 of the 13th Panzer Division. This board is featured in Scott Pritchett’s excellent book Panzer Feldjacke – Volume One: Heer Part I, on page 384. I was very pleased to get an item represented in this great book and from Chris V’s outstanding collection. The board features a cloth twisted cord, with white/green colors, which is thought to represent a panzer company or platoon. The board is a sewn in style, but I would imagine it was attached to a black panzer wrap, with the amount of wear it shows and the special unit cord being attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Panzer Regiment 2

Originally posted by TK GUY View Post
        The second board is for a full Colonel (Oberst) from Panzer Regiment #2 of the 16th Panzer Division. It features the older, first style type of number. It is made with the bright Russian braid material and probably intended for use on a dress/parade style uniform. An advanced collector told me that he has a similar board and that the prongs on the pip that would sit closest to the shoulder were also trimmed down on his to prevent it from pressing into that area. It is my understanding that a full colonel could either be the actual commander of Panzer Regiment #2, or on the General Staff of the 16th Panzer Division. The division fought in Russia and was basically destroyed at Stalingrad. It was reformed in March 1943 with new recruits and the few units that had not been trapped in Stalingrad. I wonder if the officer did not use this board on a uniform because he never returned from Stalingrad.

Congratulations on a very nice grouping of Panzer Regiment boards! Another thing to consider, in Panzer Regiment 2's history, is that from the formation, in 1935, to transfer to the 16. Panzer, in Oktober 1940, is that it was part of the 1. Panzer Division.

Comment

pz boards

Hi Schulterklappen,

Thank you for the positive comments. You make a good point, Panzer Regiment 2 was part of the original first three panzer Divisions formed and its crews would have taken part in the invasion of Poland, France, etc. as part of the 1st Panzer Division. Then it was transferred to form the backbone of the new 16th Panzer Division in time for the Russian campaign. An interesting unit history. I always learn something new when I post an item.

Thanks,

Paul
          Last edited by TK GUY; 09-12-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Pz

No one interested in panzer boards anymore?

Comment

My set of boards for the 16th Panzer Div.
              This is where my father served, until the end.
              Ralph.
              Attached Files

Comment

All are very nice ones. Matt

Comment

Look like nice boards. The trouble with cyphers is that without provenance or unless the cypher is aged and sitting deep into the board there is no way for anyone to tell if it's original to the board or just stuck on there post war to create an elite unit or whatever...especially on dress tunics etc which usually show very little wear in general.

As your boards came from Chris i have no problems with them being what they are attributed to be. But fresh looking cyphers or the Hv Schwere Pz Bn's boards with cyphers etc. for example would be the case to be cautious.

Comment

pz boards

Thank you for the positive comments on the panzer boards.

Ralf,

Thank you for posting the amazing photo of your Father’s Panzer-Regiment #2 / 16th Panzer Division insignia. Would you tell us more about him:

- As a Senior Lieutenant, was he a platoon commander at some point in his
                    career?

- What type of panzer(s) did he serve in, Mark IV, Panther, etc.?

- How was he able to escape the surrender at Stalingrad?

We would all find details of his service very interesting.

Tim,

I agree, it would be great to have a Tiger Heavy Tank Battalion board – 502, 503, etc., but it would have to have some real provenance to back it up.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Thank you Paul!
                      Unfortunately, these are not his insignia.
                      I have started a thread on my father here, please feel free to have a read.
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=Documentation
                      Ralph.

Comment

pz

Hi Ralf,

Thanks very much for posting the link to the information about your Father.
                        Very interesting and great photos/art work!

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X