Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

Paul, this is not a standard issue tropical Luft tunic. There are many, many things that deviate from the norm such as: materials used for the jacket, the way buttons are attached, no belt holes, no lining etc.etc. The best scenario for this tunic would be a field made one, but I'm very sceptical about it.

Comment

Thanks Tony, appreciate you thoughts, any other views ?

Comment

Anyone help with the epaulettes?

Comment

Responded to the other post on the shoulder board. Looks like a privately tailored tropical tunic item for a Hauptman of a Flak unit. Curious that there are no provisions for wear of awards at that rank. At Hauptman he would at least have something to put on it. Did they chest eagle and shoulder board come together?

The wear on this tunic is what is odd. With the exception of the rusted collar attachment, rust spots the fabric looks bright in color. Buttons are worn. No fading? No evidence of collar tabs, sleeve insignia (shield or cuff title), no evidence of award loops. Kind of a plain Jane with a ratty shoulder board and chest eagle. Bottom pockets are sewn way offline from the chest pockets.

The construction is not the norm as mentioned for a tropical tunic nor is the quality of construction really. Not to say it isnt from the time period but I have some doubts.

Comment

Lloyd, thanks, the tunic is period and is faded and very dirty, what appealed to me was the lack of loops and insignia, the epaulettes did come with as did the eagle but these have been added and subject to verification as to it being Luft or Army I will add a better set of epaulettes for display, as I have said it looks the part, but not sure on the general design, again many thanks, Paul

Comment

i had a similar tunic some years back from a german vet it was one he had made in southern russia in very similar material

Comment

Whatever it is, it is not a Luftwaffe issue tropical tunic. We could speculate on a number of things, but it is missing so many of what one needs to see on a issue tunic. Some have covered these points already.

The boards could just as well be, and probably are, Heer.

Unless it is very, very cheap my advice is to not bother with this tunic.

Whenever something isn't right we hear the "field made" "private made" angle. That is a crutch.....IMO.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Just an observation, but most if not all of the "private purchase, Luftwaffe tropical" tunics that I have seen in collections or for sale are in England. Weird!
                    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Can I thank you all for your assistance, its gone back to the person I purchased it, as ver many thanks to all, P

Comment

Originally posted by Gene
                        Just an observation, but most if not all of the "private purchase, Luftwaffe tropical" tunics that I have seen in collections or for sale are in England. Weird!
                        Funny huh? Like decals on helmets that are masked off. Dozens of M37 FJ helmets. Numerous cufftitled SS Panzer wraps, HG cufftitled Luft trop tunics, etc, etc.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
                          Funny huh? Like decals on helmets that are masked off. Dozens of M37 FJ helmets. Numerous cufftitled SS Panzer wraps, HG cufftitled Luft trop tunics, etc, etc.
                          Yep, except for MY HG cuff titled trop tunic! Vet acquired with capture papers too, and it didn't come from England.
                          WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I have also seen more GD stuff in American collections. Everything in my GD collection came from American sources. When I was collecting KM and DAK there was more to be had in England and Canada even though the Arid portions of North America were used to host DAK Pows. All of my KM U-boat items were from Lancashire. Given the stall of British troops in Normandy and then the breakout I am not surprised at the number of SS items in England or HG-tropical items given the long standing British presence in the Med.

Interesting points. I think those terms you mention Willi are generally overused by sellers more than collectors. I have not been to a show as big as SOS or MAX and belong to the TMCA (Tennesse Military Collectors Association) but I attend gun shows buying and selling regularly and can count on one hand the number of so called field made or private tailor combat tunics I have seen balled on a table or hanging up. As overused as 'rare' 'mint''authentic''unissued', the list could go on.

Anyway, glad you were able to return it and take the advice graciously. Stick to better documented pieces and buy quality. You will get better returns and your collection will benefit. best of luck and regards to all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X