Tailor made tropical cloth Officer/NCO jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailor made tropical cloth Officer/NCO jackets

I’ve seen quite a few of these, was just wondering if there was any info on how this fabric was distributed to field tailors? It’s kind of interesting that these jackets are made of official cloth in an unofficial way.

Or cut in the tropical capes or motorcyclist coats ?
    Nick

Comment

I've never seen those Nick, I have seen a lot of fieldmade tropical cloth officers jackets though, almost more than jackets in Russian Zelt cloth

Comment

Many different tropical-summer fabrics were used , plain or camo .
        Regarding the real tropical green classical cloth , they used larger surfaces of cloth ,
        capes or motorcyclist coats for example ?
        I already had jackets or breeches like this in my hands .
        Nick

Comment

At least early in the War they would not destroy German military issue items like capes or zeltbahn. Later in the war they cared less about this etc. Late war fieldmade clothing did use zeltbahn etc. I have seen non-standard lightweight tunics made from the ribbed tropical fabric used to make DAK and Tropical clothing but it is not common.

These were generally made from non-German fabrics. Allied shelter quarters, soviet rain capes- Palatka and other odds and ends. Light weight fabric was not issued to tailors etc. Each unit often had some one that had tailoring skills along with a cobbler to make clothing repairs and often would also make tunics. Most the tunics were created at that level and it is very rare to see a formal tailor made jacket in lightweight materials like the canvas/duck fabrics.

Some low production factory made light weight tunics were produced and issued using Dutch fabrics and other odds and ends that were "captured". These are not the common HBT tunics and I have seen them made of many unusual fabrics.

Comment

This is the fabric that I was talking about, pictures are not mine and belong to the respective vendors. Usually these are described as being "tropical fabric", is this correct?
            Attached Files

Comment

That looks similar to the early issue fabric for breeches and would be an example of a tunic privately made probably at a unit level tailor from surplus German ? Tropical whipcord.

Comment

IMO french ribbed cotton pre 40 , not german .
                A lot of this cloth was used by the german Army ...
                Nick

Comment

Nick, are you thinking it’s fabric like the jacket in this thread?
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...French+uniform
                  Very interesting.

Comment

The French material is a little different but the fabrics varied. It could also be a private German fabric. It is hard to tell.

Comment

Interesting thread. This is a photo of a custom tailored tropical officers tunic from the 7Pz Regt, 10Pz Div from Tunisia '43. Thanks to R.H. for the photo.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by doomtown View Post
                        Nick, are you thinking it’s fabric like the jacket in this thread?
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...French+uniform
                        Very interesting.
                        No , not that type of wool OFF gabardine .
                        I'm talking about the french prewar protection uniforms made in cotton uniform , in this exact cloth :
                        motorcyclist overcoats + overtrousers
                        2 lower pockets "work" jackets + trousers ...
                        Nick

Comment

Oh ok, I found this via google, is that what you are referencing?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by doomtown View Post
                            Oh ok, I found this via google, is that what you are referencing?
                            The motorcycle clothes were mostly made of cotton duck like the one in your pictures. The working clothes were made of that distinct cotton twill, I showed on in this thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=850880 and here I found some more pictures: https://www.le-zouave.com/shop/archi...38-dated-1940/

Comment

That type of uniform for example but made in the ribbed cotton , not the plain heavy cotton like this one , being postwar dated 1946 ...
                              Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X