Heer observer or artillery EM tabs for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer observer or artillery EM tabs for review

This is a set of tabs that was in the batch I purchased on the E-Stand. I believe they were listed as observer tabs, but the red is VERY red (I know that thread colors varied quite a bit during the war) leading me to believe they are artillery instead. It bears mentioning that the tabs seem to be attached to one another by a small amount (single strand) of grey thread.

Thoughts on the above are much appreciated!
    Attached Files

Hello,

The litzen themselves are nice original Third Reich issue pieces. The backing material is non standard.

Fred

Comment

Thanks Fred!

I'm not quite sure of the distinction you're drawing with the backing material. Could you elaborate (only for my own knowledge )?

Also, any thoughts on why they are attached? Maybe a surplus set that was linked together to avoid being separated before being attached to a uniform?

Lastly, based on thread color, do you feel they are Artillery or Observer as originally listed?

Again, thanks as always for your vast knowledge!

Comment

Hello,

The litzen, grey strips of cloth with the branch of service color, are original Third Reich manufacture. The backing material that they are mounted on is non standard material. It should be a fine dark green badge cloth over the top of buckram. The first pattern of collar tabs, like the ones that started this thread, should be mounted on a backing of dark green badge cloth. I have never seen a pair of colored, piped collar tabs, that I thought were originally factory sewn, applied to a tunic collar with out a backing material. I am sure that there might have been exceptions but I have never seen it. Generally collar tabs, from what I have seen, did not get directly mounted on to a collar until they started to use the 1st pattern einheits collar tabs.

Saying that, 1st and 2nd pattern einheits tabs were tailor mounted on badge cloth backings for soldiers to enhance/upgrade the looks of their best tunic.

Here are a pair of medical collar tabs mounted to the proper backing. Your tabs are for an artillery enlisted man.
        Fred
        Attached Files

Comment

Fred,

Understood and thank you for the knowledge. this thread got me to looking back at some other EM tabs I have and I noticed that the majority of them have this "non-standard" cloth you mention. I definitely see the difference between the tabs I posted and the ones you did. Here is a picture of 5 different tabs, with details on each:

From left to right:

1: The pair that started this thread (sewn together as before).

2: A Panzer EM tab that seems to have the same badge cloth as the tabs you posted.

3: An Infantry EM tab with the non-standard cloth.

4: Another Artillery EM tab with the non-standard cloth.

5: An EM tab that I cannot identify that has the non-standard cloth and no backing at all (perhaps not completely finished by the tailor?) These were purchased recently on the E-Stand as Unteroffizier infantry tabs, but the black stripe is not infantry I thought? These tabs also have a different profile than the other tabs. A different pattern, or something not right?

Given that the bulk of these tabs have the non-standard cloth, is it just that I have a lot of "bad" tabs or something else?

Again, thanks as always!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

1. Is a set of original Heer artillery enlisted man's collar tabs on a non standard backing.

2. Is a reproduction Heer panzer enlisted man's collar tab mounted on a felt material. 2 of the tells on this are the pale green center stripe and the golden buckram on the back.

3.Is an original Heer infantry enlisted man's collar tab that was made by the high speed weaving process. Guessing generally around the 1938-39 time frame. I have never seen a pair factory sewn on a tunic.

4.Is an original Heer artillery enlisted man's collar tab that was made by the high speed weaving process. These collar tabs, #3 and #4, have the dark green backing material woven in the pattern. The buckram just stiffens them up.

5.I believe that this is a police collar tab. It is not a Heer tab.

Fred

Comment

Fred,

Much appreciated!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X