Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with two shoulder boards

Hello,

I would appreciate any information on these two shoulder boards. I am new to board collecting.

I believe the first one is the color green used by panzer grenadier troops, correct?

From what I have read, the second board is an early version (pointed tip) from the 1935 (because of dark material) to 1939 time frame. It is for a Feldwebel, correct? Does anyone know what unit the 63 represents? I found a 63rd infantry regiment in WWI, but didn't find anything for WWII.

Thanks for your time,

Paul
    Attached Files

p2

p2
    Attached Files

Comment

p3

p3
      Attached Files

Comment

Board and Strap

The major's board (Schulterstueck) does appear to be Panzergrenadier Waffenfarbe. The subdued Russia braid would indicate it was for use on field grade uniform or coat as opposed to a Waffenrock or walking out tunic.

The Feldwebel shoulder strap (Schulterklappe) is the 1. Model for the Feldbluse and dates roughly from the time frame you indicated; though, photographic evidence indicates the style was worn throughout the war. Most likely the #63 indicates the 63. Infanterie Regiment of the 27. Infanterie Division. Later the 27. Infanterie was converted to the 17. Panzer Division and the 63. became a Panzergrenadier Regiment.

Since, there is no Waffenfarbe on this style NCO shoulder strap, it is also possible that the strap belonged to the 63. Artillerie Regiment. The Waffenfarbe could be indicated by colored inserts of the wearer's collar tabs or Waffenfarbe on his Schirmuetze or soutache on an overseas cap. On enlisted and Unteroffizier ranks of the 1. Model Feldbluse strap, embroidered numbers and cyphers would indicate branch of arms by the color of thread used for embroidery.

Here are links to unit histories:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...enter/IR63.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm
        Last edited by Schulterklappen; 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Straps

In the attached scans, the Unteroffizier strap represents Gebirrgsjaeger Rgt. 139. The pair of "A 29" straps are for an enlisted man of Aufklaerungs Abteilung (recon detachment) 29 from the 29. Infanterie Divison (mot)
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Hi Schulterklappen,

Thank you very much for the great information, links and other examples.
            I appreciate knowing about the units these boards may have belonged to.
            That is what I am finding interesting about boards.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Schulterklappen und Schulterstuecke

Originally posted by TK GUY View Post
              Hi Schulterklappen,

Thank you very much for the great information, links and other examples.
              I appreciate knowing about the units these boards may have belonged to.
              That is what I am finding interesting about boards.

Thanks,

Paul
              Hello Paul,

I am glad that I could help. The straps and boards, especially cyphered pieces, are a subject of never ending fascination to me.

Best regards,
              Glen

Comment

Such nice shoulder straps!!

Comment

Fantastic straps Glen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X