Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer breast eagle - opinions wanted

Hello,

I would appreciate opinions on this machine embroidered breast eagle.
    It was in with some other items I picked up recently.

Thank you,

Paul
    Attached Files

Hello Paul,

I have never cared for this pattern of eagle.

Fred

Comment

Thank You

Thank you Fred. I appreciate knowing it is not good.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

There might be some other opinions on this besides mine!

I don't care for it because of the weak embroidery, shape of the wreath and the basic pattern.

Fred

Comment

Fred, and what criteria of originality of such eagles?
          I have a quantity of similar eagles and I believe in their originality. It would be desirable to understand

Comment

Hello,

Private purchase breast eagles have to be taken with a grain of salt. We can say they are original when we see good clear straight period photos of them on tunics, and we can get a good feeling about them when we find them in good veteran lots. Each person has their own criteria for saying it is a fake or not. I said " I have never cared for this pattern of eagle" In a later post I stated that I did not care for it because I did like the weak embroidery, the shape of the wreath and the basic pattern.

I also said to Paul that there are other opinions out there not just mine. I did not say it was Fake but that I did not like it, there is a difference. The difference is that I tend to believe that it is bad but am open to change my mind.

Handling fake eagles also helps me make up my mind.

Fred

Comment

Fred thanks for explanations!

Comment

Hello,

Here are a few eagles that gave me an opinion on this eagle. They might not be the same but are close.

Fred
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I have looked, eagles of trust on originality don't inspire.

Comment

Heer Eagle

Hi Fred,

I respect your opinion and appreciate the work you have done on threads like "The Evolution of Heer Eagles". If you do not care for the eagle, I don't want it in my collection. Nor would I want to sell it as a good one. If someone else can prove it is a period piece, great. Until then it goes in my junk box.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Gentlemen,

Fred taught me lots about eagles. I have picked up several original studio portraits of soldiers wearing non-standard or 'private purchase' eagles, and I started a thread on the subject:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=807163&page=6

There are a lot of interesting eagles there, and I am grateful to everyone who added their own examples.

As Fred says, in some cases it comes down to what you like, or you do not like. There is one original photo of a solider with an absolutely awful breast eagle (in my opinion!), which I would have said was a bad fake...Yet there it is, in a period photo.

This is an interesting hobby!

All the best,

Mark

Comment

Eagle

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for the information and link. Some great photos of unusual Eagles in period photos. Maybe the one I have will show up someday.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X