JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General officer's (???) breast eagle...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General officer's (???) breast eagle...???

Hello folks. A recent find along w/ a few other smalls, this tunic-removed officer's breast eagle...Gilt bullion thread w/ faded gilt-yellow highlight threads, finely detailed, most certainly tunic removed, on green backing wool. could this be for a General's tunic, or perhaps KM / coastal arty?? A few snaps below, and thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Attached Files

That kind of brass eagle could go either way. Some professional dealers will sell it as a generals breast eagle and ask a lot more for it.

IMHO that is an especially well-made example.

Diane

www.brandenburghistorica.com

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Diane, my sentiments exactly. It's certainly very well constructed, almost has a two-dimensional effect, and quite high relief. Being tunic removed is also a nice feature, i.m.o. Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

First off, it's an original piece.
        Secondly, the detail leads me to favor "General Officer" over Shore based KM Officer.
        I like it!!

Comment

General

Hello, The green bottom reminds me a general eagle to heer. He(it) is beautiful

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate it.

Comment

Hi Milton,

For me, that bullion eagle is original, and the toning/ageing of the thread looks 100% genuine. Given the amount of wear, I would guess at it being a coastal artillery officer's eagle, rather than a general's eagle, purely because a general's eagle would be unlikely to have had such a hard life. However, that is almost beside the point, because the eagle is of a quality that could easily have sat on a general's tunic.

I was lucky enough to find a similar eagle, though in different thread, a few years ago. I am sure it is a coastal artillery officer's eagle, just a nice quality one. I am posting it here because the design is so similar to yours. Personally, I just love eagles, and whether or not these pieces are for a general or an officer is almost irrelevant to me; they are great eagles.

All the best,

Mark
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark. Great looking bird you’ve got there, too. As for the amount of wear on mine, suffice to say it could’ve just as well have been incurred in the years since the war, as it was simply loose and bouncing around in an estate lot...Either way, I’m glad to have it! Btw, is the backing on yours blue or green...I can’t ascertain the color from the photo. Thanks for commenting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X