Need some advice on Panzer NCO set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on Panzer NCO set

This set just arrived in the mail and I have one concern with the construction. We'll start with a picture of the front. My camera battery is dead so this is the best I can do for now. I don't really have any problems from the front and the skulls look good to me.
    Attached Files
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Here is the back. Again everything looks good to me.
    Attached Files
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Okay, notice the one piece construction of the tongue with no reinforcement material. Does anyone have in their collection or know of an original Heer strap with the one piece construction and no reinforcement material like this? Anyone have any thoughts on this type of construction?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PD Sergeant; 03-19-2005, 06:29 PM.
      AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

I'd be sceptical with those boards (but then again I am not holding them in hand). Another thing I'd check out carefully is the NCO Tresse. The diamonds are not shaped square but rather like the NVA ones.

Comment

Albert, thanks for your reply. I noticed the tress as well. I have a couple of NVA NCO straps that I keep around for comparisons and I've compared the two side by side. The NVA 'squares' seemed to be more elongated than on the panzer pair in question and the NVA tress is wider as well. I'm not an expert on NVA so I'm not sure how many different manufactures of NVA tress there were but the examples I have don't seem to match.
          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

A pair of panzer private purchase boards similar to yours in construction. These did not have keyhole button holes.
            Original but not of typical construction, and thereby a liability in todays marketplace. Basketweave piping, and non multi piece construction, and slottly button holes...
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Galizien, thanks for posting your pair. Now, at least, I know that I don't have the only strap without the reinforcing material on the tongue. Having the ONLY non-standard piece of anything in this hobby is not a good thing. It is interesting that your pair is also panzer, similar in construction, but with different button holes. How many other 'one piece construction' straps have you seen?
                AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

No many,I think I have mostly seen one piece construction on private purchase stuff. I do have one signals board for nco that is one piece, on feldgray but I believe this to be tailor done too.

Comment

Tom:
                    Nicer button holes on yours for certain, but the rest is uncannily similar to the Uffz set posted...and rather than make me feel better, makes me feel a bit more skeptical. I recollect that even M44s have at least some tongue lining.
                    CSP

sigpic

Comment

They just have that "brand new" feeling about them don't they!
                      do you guys know what i mean? you pick it up and and just doesn't click!

cheers, Rik

Comment

Scott, you're right. The M44's have the single strip of reinforcement material that goes from the top of the strap to the bottom of the tongue.

Rik, the pictures don't really do it justice, but the straps don't have a new feel to them. Scott and I have talked privately about how these straps could have been artificially aged and I don't dismiss that possibility. The materials seem to be correct and my first gut reaction when I had them in hand was that they were 'good'. Then I got to the tongue, and the lack of reinforcement material was something I hadn't run across before.

I haven't made up my mind on this pair, yet, though I am feeling better about them. Scott, I had the opposite reaction when I looked at Galizien's pair. Had the buttonhole stitching been the same I might have had the same reaction as you.

What are the chances that these are period made by a tailor? I'm still open to new ideas - either for or against on this pair, guys.
                        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

d

Want to just say that a similar pair like this was at the SOS for sale at $250 that the seller said was for a Tiger Abt. They also were Feldwebel boards and lacked the reinforcement on the tongues. The tongues almost felt like felt to me, so I passed on them. For whatever that is worth.....

Marty
                          I love the beach.

Comment

Okay, my use of the phrase "one piece construction" may be misleading. I had someone ask me a very good question: "If it is one piece construction, why is the tongue sewn around the edges."

Good question. As you look at the face of the strap there is an additional piece of wool material sewn up under the NCO tress. So, the strap itself is one piece and the tongue is actually two pieces of the same type of wool - hence the edges are sewn together. What I meant by "one piece construction" is that the typical reinforcement material is absent. Clear as mud, right?

I may have used poor judgement in my choice of words.
                            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X