Infantry enlisted Waffenrock opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infantry enlisted Waffenrock opinions

I have for sale on the e-stand a waffenrock which I believe to be all original. A potential buyer has asked me to open a thread and solicit opinions prior to a potential purchase so I am opening this thread to see what others may have to say. Thank you in advance.
    Richard V

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=926542

Richard, the base tunic is fine. I suspect the eagle has been re-sewn at some point, and the straps for an enlisted man should not have metal numbers - does the tunic have a Gepüft stamp on the interior? that would tell you the original unit.

Don

Comment

Don, the only stamp I have seen is the one pictured in the listing which is positioned over the left inside pocket of the tunic. Is there someplace obscure where other markings might be located? Always a surprise when you buy something on the e-stand advertised as all originally applied insignia only to have some doubt fostered in later examination. I never knew that enlisted would not have metal numbers on the tabs. Was that regulation?
      Richard V

Comment

Ranks Unteroffizier and below should have had stitched numerals or cyphers on the straps per regulations. Feldwebel and above were to have white metal numerals. The Geprüft stamps are usually on the interior lower skirt on the (wearer's) right-hand side.

Don

Comment

Can't find any markings in that area Don. The only ones are over the left inside breast pocket. What makes you suspect the eagle has been resewn?
          Richard V

Comment

That's certainly not a deal breaker, Richard. As I said, nice original tunic with a few anomalies.

Don

Comment

Thanks for the comments Don.
              Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                I never knew that enlisted would not have metal numbers on the tabs. Was that regulation?
                Richard V
                Originally posted by DonC View Post
                Ranks Unteroffizier and below should have had stitched numerals or cyphers on the straps per regulations. Feldwebel and above were to have white metal numerals. The Geprüft stamps are usually on the interior lower skirt on the (wearer's) right-hand side.

Don
                About numerals and cyphers you are right in general. But I remember two pictures of enlisted men, wich have them in metal on their shoulder straps. And from time to time an enlisted waffenrock or enlistet straps are for sale with metal cyphers. The last point is not an evidence, I know, and sure it is unusual and suspicious, but I think there is a very small number of Units, wich tolerate or implement this.

It is a question of believe. Similar to embroided eagles on an EM-Waffenrock.

In my opinion, the "Geprüft"-Stamp is only to find in private tailored tunics, to allow the owner to wear it.

Best regards

Nightwish

Comment

Nightwish is correct on the Geprüft stamp, although, once again, I have seen one or two issue-quality tunics with them - I suspect it was done if the owner changed units.

Don

Comment

Thanks very much for all the input and comments. It appears there is very little interest in tunics these days. I've only had 2 individuals express an interest and I felt my price was pretty competitive. I suppose they are hard to display due to their size and that is a strike against them. I suppose if it doesn't sell here, I will try to sneak it by eBay.
                    Richard V

Comment

Here's a pic of an EM with metal number 17s listed by a gentleman on ebay. This is one of about 3 or 4 I saw like this in the last couple of days.

There is plenty of photographic evidence to support the use of metal numbers by those below the rank of Unterfeldwebel, but I agree that it is really an anomaly that is generally looked at with suspicion among collectors when encountered on a tunic or off-tunic straps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the pic and your input!
                        Richard V

Comment

Hello Richard,

considering that your tunic was produced in 1941 I'm not surprised by the lack of embroidered numbers on the straps as this practice had been discontinued prior to 1941 on field tunics at least. It is possible that they were applied during by the individual to reflect his unit at the time.

There has been a huge drop in militaria sales Richard. Items that I would have sold within a week a few years ago are now taking much longer to find a buyer for. Times are tough throughout the world.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the information Mark. You are correct. Things that flew off the shelves 10 years ago now almost need to be given away unless they are rare. Can't say I would have thought the tunic would last this long at this price though. Tough times.
                            Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X