Pionier Waffenrock for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first uniform and personally I think I did pretty good! But I would love to hear from the experts in the forum. Tell me this mans story! Here’s what I do know:
    - He’s a Pioneer
    - He’s a Stabsfeldwebel
    - His Awards
    What I’m hoping someone will explain to me is the “L” on the shoulder boards, no clue what that means and the tress above the cuff, someone said that is “Der Spiess”? And the signal insignia on the sleeve. And if someone could tell me his unit too and info on the unit that would help a lot. Thanks for your help!

- Steve

Forgot this photo

- Steve

Comment

The "L" is for Lehr - a training unit. The L and the number should be in white metal and not embroidered for a senior NCO. Other than that, from the pics it looks OK. The two lines of Tresse indicate the company first sergeant, or Spiess.

Don

Comment

Nice tunic just don't care that eagle is under flap.

Comment

As Don C has pointed out, it is odd that a Senior NCO (Oberfeldwebel) has embroidered shoulder board insignia when the embroidery was technically limited to Unteroffiziers and below in rank.

Having said that, a lot of odd things happened in the TR. it is possible this individual first had his waffenrock as an Unteroffizier, then later added the silver end tress and pips to reflect his promotions to prepare it for some occasion such as marriage.

Who knows?

Comment

Thanks for the info! Very interesting! But no red flags? Just oddities? Does anyone have any info on the unit?

- Steve

Comment

What seems somewhat odd is that a Stabsfeldwebel would be wearing a standard issue tunic and not a private purchase tunic. From the images the breast eagle appears to be replaced poorly as mentioned. It would be useful to examine in hand the stitching on the Tresse for the Spiess rings and see if there is any evidence of a sleeve rank below the signal Blitz. The signal Blitz also strikes me as something common to a lower rank's tunic that I just wouldn't expect a this rank to wear. I am not stating that something is wrong with the tunic, but that it seems v e r y unusual for the highest rank NCO. I would describe the "Lehr" unit as a demonstration unit to develop new ideas rather than a training or "Ausbildungs" unit and a desirable unit to have in a collection.

Comment

No evidenced of a sleeve rank, as for the eagle, do you think it’s post-War applied? Sleeve tress is machine sewn cuff tress is hand

- Steve

Comment

Better pic of the eagle

- Steve

Comment

Just noticed this on the inside sleeve, what is it?

- Steve

Comment

Indeed most likely explanation is a promotion from Unteroffizier and retaining the embroidered cyphers...
                      The ink stamp in the liner is a museum inventory stamp...Such box stamps are Eastern European...possibly Soviet...

Comment

Interesting! Does that decrease the value any?

- Steve

Comment

As everyone said, there are non-regulations (oddities) with this tunic but as Tim said, things like this occurred all the time during the TR. Overall, I like it.

Mark

Comment

Thank you for your input everyone! Now I just need to learn more about the unit. Does anyone have any info? Or where to get info about the unit?

- Steve

Comment

Pionier Lehr Btl. 2

Originally posted by Stickfigure21 View Post
                              Thank you for your input everyone! Now I just need to learn more about the unit. Does anyone have any info? Or where to get info about the unit?

- Steve
                              Here is a link to a brief history of the unit:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...n/Pioniere.htm

Notice too, that the history only shows the unit as having 3 companies and the shoulder board button is a "6."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X