An interesting officer's M-36 tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting officer's M-36 tunic

This tunic was most definitely a combat-worn infantry officer's uniform. There is a small period repair on the shoulder, behind the shoulder strap. There is natural wear to the collar, at the points where the officer's neck rubbed the blue-green badge cloth collar. The tunic displays a very, very slight lighter color from the sun, in those areas that are not covered by pocket flaps. There is a 1941 dated tailor's label in the pocket, from which the officer's name was cerefully removed. I suspect that the excission of the name was most probably related to the insignia that is on the sleeve of this tunic: the very rare first pattern "Turkistan" badge.

This unit of Turkish volunteers for the Third Reich was a part of the 162nd Infantry division. It operated in Yugoslavia and Italy, often engaged in anti-partisan operations. It was a unit of volunteers that was in fact highly regarded by the German officers who exercised command over it.

And so this tunic was certainly worn in operations of the Turkistan cadre. There is an EK II ribbon in the buttonhole, and loops for three badges. I suspect that they might well have been an EK I, an Infantry Assault, and an Anti-partisan Badge. If so, an APB might well explain the desire to remove the name from the tunic. There are three loops above the right breast pocket, which appear wide enough to have possibly been for a Close Combat Clasp.

This is a tunic that, as they say, "talks to you".
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The Italian sun could be bright and hot.....
      Attached Files

Comment

The sleeve displays the badge of a unit much respected by the Germans, and much feared by others.
        Attached Files

Comment

The "Turkistan" badge is scarce in and of itself in any version. This is the very rare first pattern badge, and to find it on a tunic is really extraordinary. Even a cursory look leaves no doubt that it has been on the sleeve forever.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bill,

Very nice tunic and it also screams "I'M AN ORIGINAL!"

Despite being decorated, the tunic is in very nice condition also...it's not often you see such a tunic.

Thank you for letting us enjoy it.

Regards,
            Mike

Comment

Superb item Bill. This has got to be mega rare.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Very nice tunic

Glenn
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I have never seen one of these badges on a tunic! Very nice find!

Thanks for posting it!

Best regards
                  Paul Reck

Comment

"An interesting officer's M-36 tunic"

What a modest understatement! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Paul

Comment

Extraordinary tunic, but do you think the buttons are original to it, they seem very mint compared to the tunic.

I find all items linking nazy germany and the muslim religion fascinating.

JL

Comment

Hi Bill I have a question

I like the tunic a lot. I like particularly the wear around the collar. I also like to see some wear at the top of the collar boards. From the picture it look like the collar patches are hand stitched?. Are they hand stitched or machine sewn?

regards

Juan

Comment

Yes, JL, I am certain that the buttons are original. They look bright perhaps due to the bright light that was on the tunic for the photographs that I took. The light has a way of altering things. For example, the tunic shows relatively little color change when you look at it, but the photo of the raised pocket flap makes it look much stronger than it is. If you look at the photo of the collar, you can see the button there, which is a worn field-gray painted button. That is how they look, not shiny.

Comment

Impressive

If the tunic could only speak!

Comment

Hi Bill,

How were you able to acquire such an interesting and rare tunic? For me it's the first time I see a turkistan patch nicely worn. A great find indeed

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X