Small group, unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small group, unit?

I got this group from a friend who got it from a German family.
    I assume that the dog tag say Infantry Regiment or is it Jäger regiment?

The cap is an Erel. Is it jäger or something else? I feel a bit unsure.
    Attached Files

cap. Overview pic and a closeup.
    Attached Files

Comment

German army used the J as if it was an I, so you have a dogtag which belonged to a member of the 5th coy, 169 Infanterie Regiment ( 2nd Batallion)

Regarding the cap, it looks like an admin green waffenfarbe visor cap, but I am not an expert on these items. It also could be perfectly a mountain cap, as usually they didnt make any difference among the different shades of green
      Last edited by pedroMM; 06-25-2017, 02:23 AM.

Comment

I agree with Pedro, it seems a Admin Green and not a GJ Green. Perhaps a photo under natural light can helps.

regards
        Mike

Comment

I thought Jagers were also light infantry with Jager Green as a branch color? Later in the war, nearly all infantry units were re-flagged as jager regiments.

Comment

I guess if this group has solid providence...It proves that they didn't line you up and shoot you if your green piping was off a shade....perhaps some color blindness some where's ??? Interesting Group...Billbert

Comment

really

The dog tag is clearly for an infantry unit and the green piping appears to be admin. There is nothing here regarding Jaeger units and "later in the war nearly all infantry units were re-flagged as Jaeger regiments" is incorrect. Without photos, documents and/or stories there is no way to precisely explain the relationship of the items other than they simply came from a family.

Comment

Nice lot. Clearly an Admin piped cap!

Comment

Have inspected it a bit more. The green piping is probably dyed from white.
                  So it should be really Hard to tell if admin or Jaeger.

Comment

It is possible, IMO likely, that all the items are original to one person and the hat was dyed and upgraded from an EM/NCO visor if he was commisioned later. This was done fairly often for jager and for Panzergrenadier units formed from Infantry. The ID disks followed soldiers from the their training units (Ersatz) or first unit where they were issued an ID tag so that he would retain this disk even if assigned to a completely different unit later in the War. He may have been assigned to a Jager battalion after IR 169 if he was commisioned.

Comment

Originally posted by schönbeck View Post
                      Have inspected it a bit more. The green piping is probably dyed from white.
                      So it should be really Hard to tell if admin or Jaeger.
                      Might be a silly question...but how did they dye the piping? I imagine white to another colour wouldn't be much problem, but from other colours would...

Carles

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X