Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabardine trousers in combat?

Hello,

I have one more question for you regarding italian gabardine trousers, and I hope you can answer it for me.
    I have seen some of those trousers (mainly M43 and M44) made of gabardine fabric, but how common were these in combat?
    And were those gabardine trousers also worn by "lower" ranks or does only the higher ranked soldiers got the chance to make/get a garbadine uniform? (Schütze, Oberschütze etc.)
    And last question, were also M40 trousers made of gabardine material?

Because I got 5 meters of gabardine fabric at Ebay and want to sew either a M40 or M43 trouser or a M44 tunic, but first would like to know, how common thse uniforms were...

I hope, I posted this thread in the right section, if not, sorry...

Thanks, Bye, David

Grüß Di' David,

Most of the uniform items that I have, or have seen, that is made out of fine Italian Gabardine wool would be considered private purchase for Officers or maybe NCO's. I think it would be rare to see an enlisted man wearing clothing made out of this material. I have a couple of pairs of Gebirgsjäger Skihose and a Windjacke made out of Italian Gabardine, as well as a pair of Italian Alpini Officer Bundhose.

Comment

I didn't agree ,
      the manufactured uniforms(M43 and 44) made out of italian gabardine are not specific for a grade .
      the german industry did every type of uniform with ....the material available
      : Italian wool , Italian gabardine , Italian satin for the more known and many other foreign material .

I think , they didn' t care , in the supply depot , to deliver those to an EM , NCO, or officers....

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by alexandre
        I didn't agree ,
        the manufactured uniforms(M43 and 44) made out of italian gabardine are not specific for a grade .
        the german industry did every type of uniform with ....the material available
        : Italian wool , Italian gabardine , Italian satin for the more known and many other foreign material .

I think , they didn' t care , in the supply depot , to deliver those to an EM , NCO, or officers....

Regards,
        I 190% agree with Alexandre and Patrick, sorry to tell you bud but you couldn't be more wrong this time!
        Uniforms and caps made with liberated Italian cloth, gabardine,tropical fabrics aso were widely used in combat, especially on the Italian and the Normandy fronts;many garments made of these materials were allotted to depots which issued these garments to division fighting there!
        The fact that trousers and tunics made of GENUINE( )Italian gabardine were issued to NCO/Officers or WSS is an urban legen in that, take it from me, some cuts of Italian gabardine or nettle-cloth are a true torture to wear,being rough,heavy and extremely hot in Spring or Summer!
        Further...these garment are virtually impossible to be told from other ones in pictures,since it would look like trop or HBT material from a distance!
        Patrick...if you need the pictures of at least a dozen trousers made of Italian Gabardine you only have to ask and you'll see for yourself that their manufacture is 232% identical to "Kommis" garments and that the markings will speak volumes!
        FWIW

Comment

Alexandre und Spiess.....always something new to learn. Thanks!

Comment

Are there any examples of Italian gabardine / “nettle cloth” issued to waffen SS troops though? The caps seem very common, but uniforms?

Comment

Originally posted by GotMittens0956 View Post
              Are there any examples of Italian gabardine / “nettle cloth” issued to waffen SS troops though? The caps seem very common, but uniforms?
              Yes there is, here a image, M43 Model Keilhose with sewn in seam.
              I have exactly the same one, also with the distinctive SS stamp at the wearers left hip side.9B899979-6378-4E82-8B17-C503E8FAC88A.jpeg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X