Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidered Standard Bearer's Shield

Good evening Gents,

There's a discussion going on in the Luft Flying Troops Forum about SBSs and I posted these pics there.

I know the subject of Heer Bevo vs embroidered has been beat to death and although I know 99.9999999% of Heer examples encountered are Bevo, and the remaining .000001% that the embroidered examples make-up are deemed to be fakes, there were privately produced embroidered examples.

I have had this picture for about 12 years and it wasn't until about 7 years ago that a friend looked at it closely and pointed out that the eagle looked funky. We realized under magnification that the beak was on the wrong side of the head and it, and the talons were in a different color than the body (unlike Bevo examples which are all black and accented in a single strand of flatwire thread). The oak leaves at the bottom are also designed slightly different.

I'll never outright disregard an embroidered example again until examining it closely and I hope this provides clear evidence that these were produced and worn.

vr

Bob
    Attached Files

metal

Most interesting. It almost looks like the oak leaves and finials on the flag poles could be actual aluminum metal and not embroidery. Never seen a fake that looked this nice.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
      Most interesting. It almost looks like the oak leaves and finials on the flag poles could be actual aluminum metal and not embroidery. Never seen a fake that looked this nice.
      Interesting observation and thanks for commenting.

I just looked at it again using a printer's loop and although it gets pretty grainy you can see three things that I think rule out an aluminum cut-out for the leaves. First, they are beefed-up pretty good, almost like single strands of aluminum wire thread were hand embroidered onto a cardstock unterlagen. Second, the appearance is matt. If it was aluminum I would expect to see some degree of reflection from the photo flash. Third, if it was a cut-out I would expect to see a few holes where thread was run through to fasten it to the backing.

vr

Bob

Comment

Very interesting pic! The main eagle on the bearers shield looks in the wrong direction imo

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich66 View Post
          The main eagle on the bearers shield looks in the wrong direction imo
          It is.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X