Hypothetical Question for Uniform Collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical Question for Uniform Collectors

There's no wrong answer on this - I am just curious what others think.

Given the choice of two uniforms of the same service branch and rank, would you rather have one in good overall condition but unnamed without any tailor's labels, or a named one to a guy who is researchable but unremarkable in terms of awards, units, etc, that has some (I would say) significant moth damage but is still presentable. In other words, if I would ever upgrade, would a named researched tunic in worse shape be worth more than an unnamed tunic in better condition?

I am curious to see what people's preferences are.

Don
    Last edited by DonC; 02-10-2017, 05:05 PM.

pref.

Significant moth damage is never attractive in my perspective.

Comment

I'd prefer the one in better condition...unless the original owner was someone really important or famous.

Carles

Comment

+1!

Not so much interested in names but in condition.

Comment

Better condition, unless the mothed rag was to a remarkable and researchable soldier.

Comment

Agree with all of the above posters.

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

I tend to collect stuff in mint or lightly worn/used condition. So I would take the nicer condition example, even though it is probably less likely to have actually been used in battle or be anything more historically significant than just a nice surviving example.

Regards,
              -Steve

Comment

I'm the opposite, something that sat in a closet does absolutely nothing for me- I prefer combat worn gear. However, moth damage is different than wear. For me, it would depend on the level of moth damage and how neat/lame the owners story was. A few nips and some combat related awards and I'd take that. If 1/4 of the tunic is chewed through I'd take the nicer unidentified tunic.

Comment

All, great conversation - appreciate it!

Don

Comment

Uniform items that show actual use I always prefer over mint closet or warehouse stored items.

However, when there are signs of heavy postwar use, obvious post war alterations or heavy moth damage, I have zero interest. To me the item would have lost its collectible value.

Don, to answer your question, I would prefer the unnamed uniform over the named (significantly) moth damaged one.
                    Last edited by naxos; 02-10-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I hate moths. J

Comment

Not easy Don, both collecting ways are very interesting, love nice uniforms in good condition, big damages or moth always make me stay away.
                        Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                        Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Combat worn, yes moths no.

Comment

Moth damage for me is as for some others here.
                            Depends on the rarity of the item and how much mothing + where.

I love originaly heavily decorated tunics if the loops (SEEM) to be original etc.
                            And I will always choose a heavily decorated tunic over a minty one without loops.

Probably because that is the best way to display ORIGINAL decorations which was my main field when starting.

Adding to that it is a dangeous level of experinced uniform collectors who constantly put on the wrong decoations on their tunics making the tunic and themselves stupid or ignorant.

1939 EK1 does not go with 1939 spange etc etc etc.

Mads

Comment

I prefer unnamed uniforms myself. I would go with the cleaner example if it were me

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X