My Latest Find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Latest Find!

I would like to show everyone my latest find...a named Waffenrock for an NCO Jager. There are the 2 Gepruft Markings inside the tunic with the first being, "Gepruft 9 / JR 15" and the second being "Gepruft 9 / IR 17" (see pics). I was told the 15th Jager Regiment was attached to the 17th Infantry Regiment but I haven't confirmed this.

Another very interesting point about this tunic is the silver tresse around the collar and cuffs. The tresse in these areas are not your typical wide variety as regulations called for. I surmise the soldier was promoted during the war, perhaps late, the the wide tresse was no longer available. I can also say the tresse was NOT applied by a tailor...the work is too sub-standard. Although nicely applied, I believe the soldier either did the work himself or had a family member do it for him.

I'm sure a question will arise..."Was the tresse applied post-war?" And I firmly believe the answer is no. The work is definitely period and nothing "glows" under a black light. If you had the opportunity to physically inspect this tunic I am confident you would agree with me.

Overall the tunic is in very nice condition with just minor storage wear. I hope you all enjoy and I greatly welcome your comments.

Mark
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MLH13; 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM.

Second Pic
    Attached Files

Comment

Third Pic
      Attached Files

Comment

Fourth Pic
        Attached Files

Comment

Last Pic
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments.

Comment

It would seem to be very unlikely the tresse was applied post war. The relative lack of interest in parade tunics among collectors (until very recently) make upgrading a private's jacket to an NCO by a faker too much effort for little financial gain. I would tend to agree with your theory of soldier-applied upgrade upon promotion.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for your comments Paul. I've been collecting for many years and I have to say Jager Waffenrocks appear not to be very common. Would you agree?

Mark

Originally posted by Paul McKee
                It would seem to be very unlikely the tresse was applied post war. The relative lack of interest in parade tunics among collectors (until very recently) make upgrading a private's jacket to an NCO by a faker too much effort for little financial gain. I would tend to agree with your theory of soldier-applied upgrade upon promotion.

Paul

Comment

Could you post a photo of the cuffs?

Comment

Here you go Sarge...could you give me your thoughts on this tunic?

Thanks

Mark

Originally posted by Dave Suter (Sarge)
                    Could you post a photo of the cuffs?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2
                      Attached Files

Comment

15. Infanterie Regiment.

This tunic would be from the III Batalion of Infanterie Rgt. 15. This was one of a handful of units within infantry regiments that maintained a Jaeger tradition. The 15th Infanterie Rgt. was attached to the 29th Infanterie Division and later would be classified as a motorised division. It was destroyed at Stalingrad and then rebuilt and classified as a Panzer Grenadier Division. I think your tunic is a beauty!

Originally posted by MLH13
                        I would like to show everyone my latest find...a named Waffenrock for an NCO Jager. There are the 2 Gepruft Markings inside the tunic with the first being, "Gepruft 9 / JR 15" and the second being "Gepruft 9 / IR 17" (see pics). I was told the 15th Jager Regiment was attached to the 17th Infantry Regiment but I haven't confirmed this.

Another very interesting point about this tunic is the silver tresse around the collar and cuffs. The tresse in these areas are not your typical wide variety as regulations called for. I surmise the soldier was promoted during the war, perhaps late, the the wide tresse was no longer available. I can also say the tresse was NOT applied by a tailor...the work is too sub-standard. Although nicely applied, I believe the soldier either did the work himself or had a family member do it for him.

I'm sure a question will arise..."Was the tresse applied post-war?" And I firmly believe the answer is no. The work is definitely period and nothing "glows" under a black light. If you had the opportunity to physically inspect this tunic I am confident you would agree with me.

Overall the tunic is in very nice condition with just minor storage wear. I hope you all enjoy and I greatly welcome your comments.

Mark

Comment

Schulterklappen,

Thanks for the information but I did some research myself on this particular Regiment and found something different. I too first thought the 15th Jager Regiment was part of the 29th Infantry Division but please read below and let me know if this makes sense.

The 17th Infantry Regiment was part of the 31st Infantry Division on October 15, 1935. (The tunic is marked "Gepruft 9 / IR 17")

The Third Jager Battalion was part of the 31st Infantry Division and stationed in Goslar. They carried on the Jager tradition from the old Hannover Jager Battalion 10 in Goslar. (The Maker/Name tag in the tunic has the City of Goslar on it).

Mark

Originally posted by Schulterklappen
                          This tunic would be from the III Batalion of Infanterie Rgt. 15. This was one of a handful of units within infantry regiments that maintained a Jaeger tradition. The 15th Infanterie Rgt. was attached to the 29th Infanterie Division and later would be classified as a motorised division. It was destroyed at Stalingrad and then rebuilt and classified as a Panzer Grenadier Division. I think your tunic is a beauty!

Comment

Thanks for the cuff photos. Here's why I asked. In most cases, an issued Waffenrock that's been upgraded to NCO rank will look like the one posted below. Notice how the tress goes over the top of the cuff patches.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Dave Suter (Sarge); 02-28-2005, 10:51 PM.

Comment

It's possible that the tunic was turned in and re-issued, or this soldier was transferred from the 17th to the 15th. Both of these regiments had the III Batalion as Jaeger Batalions. Here is an example of a III Batalion, Infanterie Rgt. 17 strap.
                              Originally posted by MLH13
                              Schulterklappen,

Thanks for the information but I did some research myself on this particular Regiment and found something different. I too first thought the 15th Jager Regiment was part of the 29th Infantry Division but please read below and let me know if this makes sense.

The 17th Infantry Regiment was part of the 31st Infantry Division on October 15, 1935. (The tunic is marked "Gepruft 9 / IR 17")

The Third Jager Battalion was part of the 31st Infantry Division and stationed in Goslar. They carried on the Jager tradition from the old Hannover Jager Battalion 10 in Goslar. (The Maker/Name tag in the tunic has the City of Goslar on it).

Mark
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X