Early Kradschützen Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Kradschützen Boards

Hi all, i picked up this Boards - i think early nice one ...what do you think ?
    Attached Files

.-.-
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

--------
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

IMHO, these shoulder straps look like they were put together yesterday. The numerals, letters and pip are not set into the fabric of the top of the strap. The pins on the backs of the numerals and letters are bent from multiple application. The straps and all the accessories are original to me but did not come together in my opinion.

Fred

Comment

I share the above assessment; original parts but post war put together.

Erik

Comment

I have to echo the others opinions. All original parts but just lacks the look of having been together since prior to 1936, but that's just my opinion. Matt

Comment

The unit was formed in Oct. 1935 and this pattern shoulder board was worn after 1936 commonly into the early War period and less commonly until the end of the War (note the later tresse-not RH). That said, in this case I agree they look put together more recently.

Comment

I think they stand a chance in that they have rare pre-war cyphers and numerals (with a silver wash). As said, there will always be some doubt about straps with metal devices, even where the prongs are arranged in a more convincing fashion. Something you would have to see "in hand" to make a better judgement.

Comment

I will leave the judgement of these straps to those who have handled more "Kradschutzen" boards than me. Except to say they look ok when compared to other pre-war boards I have handled.

However, one thing I have noticed over the years. When I have picked up NCO directly boards from a veteran sources as brought back from WW2. The pins on the pips, numbers or devices have not always been folded over perfectly straight or neatly. On several examples they were folded roughly and without care like the pins on the devices on these "Kradschutzen" boards. I have put this down to the German who put the device on the board, focusing on alinement-positioning of the pip/ number etc on the top side of the board. Then pushing the pin through the thickness of the cloth and simply folding the pin over on the reverse side where ever it came through the layers of cloth.

In less cases, a German NCO had to transfer devices from one set of boards to another or reposition devices on an existing board because of promotion/ transfer.

Given my observations above and the matched, appropriate period nature of the devices. I think these ones have every chance of being original as worn,

Chris

Comment

By looking under the devices on the face you could most likely tell if they are originally and period applied. Everything else is speculation unless they are family or Vet. pick up etc. say if they were found by the batman of Capt. Dangory Sr. of the NZ Rifles in Tunis glued to the bottom of a chair in the former Rommel Club at 2:33 in the afternoon on Feb. 23rd 1943 for example etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                        By looking under the devices on the face you could most likely tell if they are originally and period applied. Everything else is speculation unless they are family or Vet. pick up etc. say if they were found by the batman of Capt. Dangory Sr. of the NZ Rifles in Tunis glued to the bottom of a chair in the former Rommel Club at 2:33 in the afternoon on Feb. 23rd 1943 for example etc.
                        And even a lack of fading under the device, pip or number can also be speculation Johnny. All one has to do, is leave the boards in a window over 1 or 2 summers and hay-presto you have nice fading around the added number.

And as for "Capt. Dangory Sr, NZ Rifles", he was killed by friendly American fire during the link up with in Tunisia 1943 because the Americans thought the Kiwis were Germans/ Vichy French before recognition was established. And sadly I wish I was joking but that is exactly what happened to my friend's father.

However as they say, "all is fair in love and war". The NZ artillery miscalculated and took out the American front line in Korea. Sad crap happens,

Chris
                        Last edited by 90th Light; 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                          There is nothing more to be said when faced with irrefutable provenance.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                            Fair enough, the boards that started this thread are post-war put-togethers.

The priests have spoken, who am I to argue and good luck to anyone trying to sell them.

Not for my collection, yuck !

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                              Very true, and even more convenient when almost everything someone has in their collection seems to glow with this sort of provenance. Sort of like cancer causing sugar substitutes etc. Sugar substitutes are almost as relative as any other diatribe on friendly fire (by the way, there is none) but taste better in a cake etc.

Not really worried about fading which is amateur level analysis. In originals there is fine wear on the wool surface that is very hard to fake. Often that is present when the boards were worn for several years with the devices.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X